What Is the Final Angular Speed of a Spinning Disk with a Running Person?

In summary, a 280 kg flat circular disk with a radius of 4.69 m is initially at rest and can rotate freely around a frictionless axis perpendicular to its center. A 55.0 kg person begins to run on the disk, 1.59 m from the axis, with a tangential speed of 1.70 m/s relative to the ground. To find the resulting angular speed of the disk, we need to use the equation 0=I(person)w(final person) + I(disk)w(final disk) and the moment of inertia equation I=mr^2, but the rearrangement of the equations should be posted in the homework section.
teddygrams
A flat uniform circular disk (radius = 4.69 m, mass = 280 kg) is initially stationary. The disk is free to rotate in the horizontal plane about a frictionless axis perpendicular to the center of the disk. A 55.0-kg person, standing 1.59 m from the axis, begins to run on the disk in a circular path and has a tangential speed of 1.70 m/s relative to the ground. Find the resulting angular speed (in rad/s) of the disk.

i know that i have to use :

0=I(person)w(final person) + I(disk)w(final disk)

and i know I=mr^2

but i just don't know how to rearrange everything...correctly..

Physics news on Phys.org
post this in the homework section

Using the equation 0=I(person)w(final person) + I(disk)w(final disk), we can rearrange it to solve for the final angular speed of the disk:

w(final disk) = -(I(person)w(final person)) / I(disk)

Since we know that I(person) = mr^2 and I(disk) = 1/2mr^2 (for a thin disk), we can substitute these values into the equation:

w(final disk) = -((mr^2)(w(final person))) / (1/2mr^2)

Simplifying, we get:

w(final disk) = -2w(final person)

Now, we can substitute in the values given in the problem to solve for the final angular speed of the disk:

w(final disk) = -2(1.70 m/s) = -3.40 rad/s

Therefore, the resulting angular speed of the disk is -3.40 rad/s. The negative sign indicates that the disk will be rotating in the opposite direction of the person running on it.

Related to What Is the Final Angular Speed of a Spinning Disk with a Running Person?

1. What is the formula for calculating the final angular speed of a disk?

The formula for calculating the final angular speed of a disk is ωf = ωi + αt, where ωf is the final angular speed, ωi is the initial angular speed, α is the angular acceleration, and t is the time elapsed.

2. How does the mass distribution of a disk affect its final angular speed?

The mass distribution of a disk does not affect its final angular speed. The final angular speed is determined by the angular acceleration and the initial angular speed, which are not affected by the mass distribution.

3. Can the final angular speed of a disk be negative?

Yes, the final angular speed of a disk can be negative. This indicates that the disk is rotating in the opposite direction of its initial rotation.

4. How does the radius of a disk impact its final angular speed?

The radius of a disk does not directly impact its final angular speed. However, a larger radius will result in a larger linear speed at a given angular speed, due to its larger circumference.

5. Can the final angular speed of a disk change over time?

Yes, the final angular speed of a disk can change over time if there is a change in the angular acceleration or external forces acting on the disk, such as friction. However, if there are no external forces, the final angular speed will remain constant due to the law of conservation of angular momentum.