What Is the Fastest Method to Solve This Complex Fraction Equation?

In summary: Notice that $n-m-k$ is a constant, so $x$ is a constant. Hence, the original equation is actually a linear equation. This is much shorter than the original approach.In summary, the conversation discusses a math exercise that is lengthy to solve and the person is seeking a faster approach. Two possible approaches are suggested - multiplying both sides by common factors or finding common factors to simplify the equation. The latter approach is proven to be shorter and results in a linear equation with a constant solution for x.
NotaMathPerson
Hello! I just want to solve this exercise using shortest way possible.

$\frac{k-n}{2m+x}+\frac{m-n}{2k+x}=\frac{k+m-2n}{k+m+x}$

Because when I tried it is so lengthy. Maybe you can teach me how to go about it faster. Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
NotaMathPerson said:

Because when I tried it is so lengthy. Maybe you can teach me how to go about it faster. Thanks
The only way I can think of is to multiply both sides by (2m + x)(2k + x)(k + m + x). I don't see any other way to do the problem.

-Dan

NotaMathPerson said:

The approach suggested by topsquark is a way, and you can also try to find the common factors so to simplify things in a more manageable and easier way, like this:

\(\displaystyle \frac{k-n}{2m+x}+\frac{m-n}{2k+x}=\frac{(k-n)+(m-n)}{k+m+x}\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{k-n}{2m+x}+\frac{m-n}{2k+x}=\frac{k-n}{k+m+x}+\frac{m-n}{k+m+x}\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{k-n}{2m+x}-\frac{k-n}{k+m+x}=\frac{m-n}{k+m+x}-\frac{m-n}{2k+x}\)

\(\displaystyle \left(k-n\right)\left(\frac{1(k+m+x)-(2m+x)}{(2m+x)(k+m+x)}\right)=\left(m-n\right)\left(\frac{1(2k+x)-1(k+m+x)}{(k+m+x)(2k+x)}\right)\)

Since \(\displaystyle k+m+x\ne 0\), we have:

\(\displaystyle \left(k-n\right)\left(\frac{k+m+x-2m-x}{2m+x}\right)=\left(m-n\right)\left(\frac{2k+x-k-m-x}{2k+x}\right)\)

\(\displaystyle \left(k-n\right)\left(\frac{k-m}{2m+x}\right)=\left(m-n\right)\left(\frac{k-m}{2k+x}\right)\)

And since $k\ne m$, we get:

$(k-n)(2k+x)=(m-n)(2m+x)$

Solve the above equation for $x$ we get $x=2(n-m-k)$.

Related to What Is the Fastest Method to Solve This Complex Fraction Equation?

What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a polynomial equation of the second degree, meaning that the highest power of the variable is 2. It is written in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

How do I solve a quadratic equation?

There are several methods for solving a quadratic equation, including factoring, completing the square, and using the quadratic formula. The most commonly used method is the quadratic formula, which is x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a.

What is the discriminant of a quadratic equation?

The discriminant of a quadratic equation is the term inside the square root in the quadratic formula, b^2 - 4ac. It is used to determine the nature of the roots (real or imaginary) and the number of solutions (2, 1, or 0) of the quadratic equation.

What are the possible solutions of a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation can have two real solutions, one real solution, or two complex (imaginary) solutions. The number and type of solutions depend on the value of the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) and the coefficients (a, b, and c) of the equation.

Why are quadratic equations important?

Quadratic equations are important in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model real-world situations and solve problems involving distance, time, velocity, acceleration, and more. They are also fundamental in understanding and solving higher degree polynomial equations.