What is the expression for the velocity of a truck with growing mass?

In summary: F=ma.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the expression for the velocity of a truck of mass M, which is being filled with coal at a constant rate b kg/s and has a constant force F applied to it. Two different approaches are explored, one using F=ma and the other using the change in momentum. It is also mentioned that Newton's second law can be written as F=ma or F=dp/dt. The final answer is found to be Ft/(M+bt). The conversation also briefly touches on the difference between force and the change in momentum and whether the answer obtained matches the one in the book.
speg
Ok, I think I might have missed a key point in this class from a few weeks ago but anyways.

There is a truck of mass M, who has a constant force F applied to it. The truck is also being filled with coal at a constant rate b kg/s. I'm supposed to find an expression for the velocity of the truck.

First I tried:

F = ma

a = F/m

Then try to integrate both sides w.r.t time to get velocity, but since the mass depends on time as well, I get an expression involving ln(m).

So then I tried it this way:

F = dp/dt

Integrate both sides,

Ft = p = mv = (M+bt)v

v = Ft/(M+bt) which is the desired result.

I think I remember something from class about the Force more accurately being the change in momentum, and not necessarily the mass-acceleration product. Was this question just to emphasis that point? I think I'll have to go read the text :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Newton's second law says [tex]\vec{F}_{net}=\frac{d\vec{p}}{dt}[/tex]

Since [tex]p=mv[/tex] you have [tex]\vec{F}_{net}=\frac{d}{dt}(m\vec{v})[/tex]

If you apply the product rule you obtain [tex]\vec{F}_{net}=\vec{v}\frac{dm}{dt} \ + \ m\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}[/tex]

If the mass is constant (ie dm/dt=0) then you are left with [tex]\vec{F}_{net}=m\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}[/tex]. Of course [tex]\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}[/tex] is just acceleration so you are left with [tex]\vec{F}_{net}=m\vec{a}[/tex]

Edit: Also, is the answer you obtained given as the correct answer in the book?

If you consider [tex]\vec{F}_{net}=\vec{v}\frac{dm}{dt} \ + \ m\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}[/tex] it looks like you would get a different answer.

Last edited:
Hmm.. now that I reread the question, it's asking to show that the speed is Ft/(M+bt)

Related to What is the expression for the velocity of a truck with growing mass?

What is a truck with growing mass?

A truck with growing mass is a hypothetical scenario in which the mass of a truck increases over time due to various factors such as added cargo or fuel. It is often used as a thought experiment in physics to explore the effects of changing mass on the motion of an object.

What factors can contribute to the growing mass of a truck?

Several factors can contribute to the growing mass of a truck, including added cargo, fuel, and even the effects of gravity. These factors can increase the overall mass of the truck, which can affect its acceleration and momentum.

How does the growing mass of a truck affect its motion?

The growing mass of a truck can significantly impact its motion. As the mass increases, the truck will require more force to accelerate, and it will also have more inertia, making it harder to stop or change direction. Additionally, the increased mass can also affect the truck's stability and handling.

What is the relationship between mass and acceleration in a truck with growing mass?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. Therefore, as the mass of a truck increases, its acceleration will decrease, assuming the applied force remains constant.

Are there any real-life applications of a truck with growing mass?

While the idea of a truck with growing mass is often used as a thought experiment, it can also have practical applications in engineering and physics. For example, understanding how changing mass affects the motion of a truck can help engineers design more efficient and stable vehicles. It can also be used to study the effects of variable mass on other objects, such as rockets or airplanes.