What is the Exponential Model for Depreciation of a Car's Value?

In summary, the car has a value of $18,000 after 2 years if you use a linear model, and a value of $30,000 after 2 years if you use an exponential model.
darshanpatel

Homework Statement

A new car that costs $30,000 has a book value of $18,000 after 2 years.

a) Find a linear model that represents the value 'V' of the care after 'x' years

b) Find an exponential model of V= ab^(x) that represents the value 'V' of the car after 'x' years.

Homework Equations

-None-

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the linear model just by basic graphing knowledge and using slope formula.

Linear Model: V= -6,000x + 30,000

I don't know how to find the exponential function, I know its a decay so it has to be a fraction, but how do I start it, and what is it supposed to be?

Physics news on Phys.org
darshanpatel said:

Homework Statement

A new car that costs $30,000 has a book value of $18,000 after 2 years.

a) Find a linear model that represents the value 'V' of the care after 'x' years

b) Find an exponential model of V= ab^(x) that represents the value 'V' of the car after 'x' years.

Homework Equations

-None-

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the linear model just by basic graphing knowledge and using slope formula.

Linear Model: V= -6,000x + 30,000

I don't know how to find the exponential function, I know its a decay so it has to be a fraction, but how do I start it, and what is it supposed to be?

When you did your linear model, you had an unknown equation ##y = mx + b##. You are probably familiar enough with that form that you knew the two unknowns are the slope and y intercept. If you hadn't known that, you would have plugged in the two points giving you two equations in two unknowns a and b.

Do the exponential the same way. Plug in the two points to get two equations in two unknowns.

What would I plug the points in to? I am getting confused with the variable 'a' and 'b' from y=ab^(x)

This is my shot at what you said:

I plugged the points (0,30000) in first and got 'a' to be 30000 then plugged that 'a' value into y=ab^x again, for the point (2,18000)

30000=a*b^0
30000=a*1
30000=a

Then...

18000= 30000*(b)^2
18/30 = b^2
(√15)/5

then for the final equation to model the situation, I got this:

V= 30000*((√15)/5)^x

Would that be correct?

darshanpatel said:
What would I plug the points in to? I am getting confused with the variable 'a' and 'b' from y=ab^(x)

This is my shot at what you said:

I plugged the points (0,30000) in first and got 'a' to be 30000 then plugged that 'a' value into y=ab^x again, for the point (2,18000)

30000=a*b^0
30000=a*1
30000=a

Then...

18000= 30000*(b)^2
18/30 = b^2
(√15)/5

then for the final equation to model the situation, I got this:

V= 30000*((√15)/5)^x

Would that be correct?

All you have to do to see if it is correct is to check whether it passes through your two points (0,30000) and (2,18000).

oh yeah hahahah, I just remembered that while I was reading your post, lol sorry

Related to What is the Exponential Model for Depreciation of a Car's Value?

What is an exponential model?

An exponential model is a mathematical representation of a relationship between two quantities where one quantity grows or decays at a constant rate in relation to the other quantity. It is often used to describe situations where growth or decay occurs rapidly and continuously, such as population growth or radioactive decay.

How do you write an exponential model?

To write an exponential model, you first need to identify the base number, which is the constant rate of growth or decay. Then, you need to determine the initial value, which is the starting value of the quantity you are modeling. Finally, you can use the formula y = ab^x, where y is the final value, a is the initial value, and x is the number of time periods, to write the exponential model.

What is the difference between an exponential model and a linear model?

An exponential model and a linear model are two different types of equations used to describe relationships between variables. The main difference is that in an exponential model, the rate of change is constant and the growth or decay is rapid, while in a linear model, the rate of change is constant and the growth or decay is gradual.

How do you interpret an exponential model?

To interpret an exponential model, you can look at the base number to determine the rate of growth or decay. If the base number is greater than 1, the quantity is growing exponentially, while if the base number is between 0 and 1, the quantity is decaying exponentially. You can also use the model to predict future values by plugging in different values for x, the number of time periods.

What are some real-life applications of exponential models?

Exponential models are used in various fields, such as finance, biology, and physics. Some examples include predicting population growth, modeling the spread of diseases, and predicting the decay of radioactive substances. They are also used in financial forecasting, such as predicting the growth of investments or the decline of stock prices.