What is the excitation energy of an atom after a photon collision?

In summary, the conversation discusses an elastic collision between a photon and an atom in an excited state, where after the collision, the energy of the photon remains the same but changes direction and the atom moves back with a velocity of Bc. The question asks for the excitation energy in terms of E, Bc, and the rest mass mo of the atom. The solution involves using conservation of energy and momentum to find the velocity of the atom, which can then be used to calculate the excitation energy.
Unicorn.

Homework Statement

There's an elastic collision between a photon of energy E and an atom in an excited state. After the collision, the energy of the photon is still E but its direction changed of angle of 180° and the atom is now going back with velocity Bc. If the atom is in his ground state after collision, what was the excitation energy ? Give the answer in fonction of E, Bc, and mass rest mo

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Conservation of energy:
E+m'c²=E+γmc²
We are supposed to find β=2E/(4E²+c²²m²) But I really don't see how we can get to that result
When we find β we just have m"excited"=m'-m=γm-m

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Unicorn. said:
We are supposed to find β=2E/(4E²+c²²m²)

Here β is the velocity of the atom after collision right? If so, then it can be found using momentum conservation. If not, don't mind me:redface:.

I can't write the conservation of momentum because I don't see exactly how the photon and atom are moving after collision:
Let's say the photon is moving in the +x direction, after it'll be moving in -x and the atom in the +x or -x ?
Thanks

Solved !

Last edited:
Unicorn. said:

Homework Statement

There's an elastic collision between a photon of energy E and an atom in an excited state. After the collision, the energy of the photon is still E but its direction changed of angle of 180° and the atom is now going back with velocity Bc. If the atom is in his ground state after collision, what was the excitation energy ? Give the answer in fonction of E, Bc, and mass rest mo

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Conservation of energy:
E+m'c²=E+γmc²
We are supposed to find β=2E/(4E²+c²²m²) But I really don't see how we can get to that result
When we find β we just have m"excited"=m'-m=γm-m

Thanks

Your question is ambiguous. What, exactly are you required to find? If it's the excitation energy, it's simply equal to the kinetic energy of the atom after collision (this only requires the energy conservation statement, and is a trivial proof). If you're asked to determine ##\beta##, you need both the momentum and energy conservation statements.

Anyway, there's an error in your expression for ##\beta##. It should be ##\displaystyle \beta = \frac{2E}{\sqrt{4E^2 + m_0^2c^4}}##. Correct?

Yes, correct.
I was asked to find the excitation energy, but to calculate it I need γ so β.
I just used the momentum conservation and I found β, I wasn't understanding in which direction goes the atom after collision. But now it's good I solved the problem.
Thank you !

Unicorn. said:
Yes, correct.
I was asked to find the excitation energy, but to calculate it I need γ so β.
I just used the momentum conservation and I found β, I wasn't understanding in which direction goes the atom after collision. But now it's good I solved the problem.
Thank you !

You're welcome. Your first post said you could leave ##\beta## in the expression. But to eliminate it, you need to consider both conservation laws, as you stated.

Anyway, ##\displaystyle E_a = \sqrt{4E^2 + m_0^2c^4} - m_0c^2##

Related to What is the excitation energy of an atom after a photon collision?

1. What is a photon atom collision?

A photon atom collision is a type of interaction between a photon (a particle of light) and an atom. This occurs when the photon's energy is transferred to the atom, causing it to undergo a change in energy state or to emit a new photon.

2. How do photon atom collisions occur?

Photon atom collisions can occur through a variety of processes, such as photoionization, photoexcitation, and Compton scattering. In photoionization, the photon knocks an electron out of its orbit, resulting in an ionized atom. In photoexcitation, the photon causes the atom to jump to a higher energy level. Compton scattering involves the photon transferring some of its energy to an electron, causing it to recoil and resulting in a change in the photon's wavelength.

3. What is the significance of photon atom collisions?

Photon atom collisions play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of atoms and their interactions with light. They are used in various fields, such as atomic and molecular physics, astrophysics, and quantum optics, to study the structure and properties of atoms and to develop new technologies.

4. What factors influence the outcome of a photon atom collision?

The outcome of a photon atom collision is influenced by several factors, including the energy and wavelength of the photon, the energy level of the atom, and the angle at which the photon approaches the atom. The type of atom and its physical properties, such as its electron configuration, also play a role.

5. How are photon atom collisions studied?

Photon atom collisions are studied through experiments using sophisticated instruments, such as particle accelerators and lasers. The results of these experiments are then analyzed using theoretical models and simulations to better understand the underlying mechanisms and properties of the collision.