What is the equivalent identity for $\sin^2\omega t$?

In summary, there are two possible identities for $\sin^2\omega t$, which are $\sin^2(\theta)=1-\cos^2(\theta)$ and $\sin^2(\theta)=\frac{1-\cos(2\theta)}{2}$. By substituting $\omega t$ for $\theta$, the identity can be used for $\sin^2\omega t$ as well.
Drain Brain
is there an equivalent identity for $\sin^2\omega t?$

please tell me.REGARDS!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It depends on what you want the identity to be in terms of...two identities that spring to mind are:

\(\displaystyle \sin^2(\theta)=1-\cos^2(\theta)\)

\(\displaystyle \sin^2(\theta)=\frac{1-\cos(2\theta)}{2}\)

MarkFL said:
It depends on what you want the identity to be in terms of...two identities that spring to mind are:

\(\displaystyle \sin^2(\theta)=1-\cos^2(\theta)\)

\(\displaystyle \sin^2(\theta)=\frac{1-\cos(2\theta)}{2}\)

I'm familiar with what you've posted. But $\sin^2(\omega t)$ doesn't fit the form of just $sin^2(\theta)$. I'm confused, how am I suppose to use those identities above?

Drain Brain said:
I'm familiar with what you've posted. But $\sin^2(\omega t)$ doesn't fit the form of just $sin^2(\theta)$. I'm confused, how am I suppose to use those identities above?

Substitute $\theta=\omega t$ to get:

\(\displaystyle \sin^2(\omega t)=1-\cos^2(\omega t)\)

\(\displaystyle \sin^2(\omega t)=\frac{1-\cos(2\omega t)}{2}\)

Drain Brain said:

With $\theta=\omega t$ it fits the form exactly. :D

Related to What is the equivalent identity for $\sin^2\omega t$?

1. What is a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that is true for all values of the variables involved, typically involving trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

2. How do I find trigonometric identities?

There are several methods for finding trigonometric identities, including using the Pythagorean identities, sum and difference identities, and double angle identities. It often involves manipulating equations and using known identities to prove new ones.

3. Why are trigonometric identities important?

Trigonometric identities are important in many areas of mathematics and science, including calculus, physics, and engineering. They are also used in solving real-world problems involving angles and triangles.

4. How do I know if a trigonometric identity is valid?

To determine if a trigonometric identity is valid, you can plug in various values for the variables involved and see if the equation holds true. You can also use algebraic manipulations to simplify both sides of the equation and see if they are equal.

5. What are some common mistakes when finding trigonometric identities?

Some common mistakes when finding trigonometric identities include not following the correct steps or using incorrect identities, making algebraic errors, and not simplifying both sides of the equation. It is important to double-check your work and use multiple methods to verify the validity of an identity.