What is the equation of this parabola and the value of z?

• Thread starter damien275x
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parabola
In summary, the poster has asked for help finding the equation of a parabola and the value of z given three points and the information that C(34,z) is a local minimum. One way to solve this problem is to use three equations to solve for a, b, and c simultaneously. However, there is also a simpler method by recognizing the symmetry of the points and using the fact that the vertex must be the midpoint of the two points with the same y-value.
damien275x
Hey guys! I'm new here & browse more thanb I post
I have an emergency, and a lot of guys who work in IT are pretty knowledgeable.
If you could help me out with my question below I would be so happy! Thanks in advance,
Damien.

Question:

I need the EQUATION of a PARABOLA in the form of y = ax^2 + bx + c
I have three points; A (17, 3), B (51,3) and C (34, z)
Z is unkown, however, point C is a local minimum.
So y' = 2ax + b

I need the EQUATION of a PARABOLA in the form of y = ax^2 + bx + c
I have three points; A (17, 3), B (51,3) and C (34, z)
Z is unkown, however, point C is a local minimum.
So y' = 2ax + b. Can anyone help me find the equation of the parabola and the value of z?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You appear to have written the question twice.

Just write out the equations after substituting the values of the points, along with the y' as you have written and solve them for a,b,c simultaneously. To make things a little easier, you can use row-reduction (linear algebra) to solve for it easily.

Since C(34,z) is a local minimum, you must have f '(34)= 0. That gives you one equation in a and b. Putting (17,3) and (51,3) for (x,y) give you two more. You can solve the 3 equations for a, b, and c. That's one way to do the problem.

Notice, however, the symmetry: Since (17,3) and (51,3) have the same y value, they must be equal distances from the vertex: (17+ 51)/2= 68/2= 34. You can, of course, write a parabola as y= (x- a)2+ c where (a, c) is the vertex (here (34, z). Since you know a= 34, use either of the other two points to solve for c= z.

Related to What is the equation of this parabola and the value of z?

1. What is a parabola?

A parabola is a U-shaped curve that is created by plotting the points of a quadratic equation. It is a type of conic section and can be described by the equation y = ax^2 + bx + c.

2. How do you graph a parabola?

To graph a parabola, you need to plot a few points on a coordinate plane and then connect them with a smooth curve. You can also use the vertex form of a parabola, y = a(x - h)^2 + k, to easily identify the vertex and direction of the parabola.

3. What is the vertex of a parabola?

The vertex of a parabola is the point where the curve changes direction, either at the lowest or highest point of the parabola. It can be found by using the formula x = -b/2a, where a and b are the coefficients of the quadratic equation.

4. How do you solve for the roots of a parabola?

The roots of a parabola, also known as the x-intercepts or solutions, can be found by setting the equation equal to zero and solving for x. This can be done algebraically or by graphing the equation and finding the points where the curve intersects the x-axis.

5. What are some real-life applications of parabolas?

Parabolas have many real-life applications, such as in architecture, engineering, and physics. They can help determine the path of projectiles, design bridges and arches, and even create parabolic mirrors for solar energy collection. They are also used in sports to calculate the trajectory of a ball or in astronomy to calculate the orbit of a comet or planet.