What is the equation of the orbits of things in space?

In summary, the equation that explains the orbital movement of two objects in space is Kepler's problem. This equation is solved if you know the initial conditions of the objects.
MonkeyKid
I appologize for any grammar or spelling errors. English is not my first language. I do my best.

Given 2 objects in space, is there an equation that explains that one will, naturally and without any interference other than gravity, assume an orbital movement around the other? And does the same equation (or is there another for that end) describes the precise orbit? describing things like the shape of the orbit, distance and velocity of the orbiting body at any given point of the orbit, etc

On a related subject, why are orbits so common? I'd assume (probably naively) that the most common form of gravitational interaction would be the less massive object being attracted by the more massive object in a trajectory that would lead to a collision. Why are there so many orbital behaviours in the universe, like pairs of stars, stars and their planets, planets and their satelites (including the man made ones here on Earth) and so on, instead of things just falling into other more massive things?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Given 2 objects in space, is there an equation that explains that one will, naturally and without any interference other than gravity, assume an orbital movement around the other?
They do not have to orbit each other.

There are three options for the long-term development:
- the objects fly apart forever
- the objects orbit each other forever
- the objects crash into each other after a while

In the special case of masses with a spherical symmetry, neglecting relativistic corrections and if you know the initial conditions, there is an exact solution for the motion of the particles, and it is easy to predict how they will move - including orbital parameters. This is called Kepler problem (and it is solved).

On a related subject, why are orbits so common? I'd assume (probably naively) that the most common form of gravitational interaction would be the less massive object being attracted by the more massive object in a trajectory that would lead to a collision.
Astronomical distances are huge, and objects are tiny. A small initial motion (in non-radial direction) is sufficient to avoid a collision.

"things just falling into other more massive things" happens as well - many small objects hit Earth all the time. The more massive collisions were more frequent in the early solar system, now most objects have orbits where they stay far away from each other (otherwise the collision would have happened long ago).

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
I got it, thank you for such a clear explanation. Most of the big bodies that were bound to collide have already collided by now. It makes perfect sense and I don't know how it didn't occur to me. It's probably because I'm still not used to see the universe as so very old as it really is, blame it on church's sunday school lol.

As to the Kepler problem, I'll check it out. I hope the mathematics are not too far ahead of my skills. Even though I'm secretly interested in things like math and physics and because of this interest I'm far ahead than what I'm taught at school, I'm still a long way from understanding calculus, non-euclidean spaces, and all those other "mythematical" creatures.

Again, thank you.

Related to What is the equation of the orbits of things in space?

1. What is Kepler's Third Law and how does it relate to the equation of orbits in space?

Kepler's Third Law states that the square of an object's orbital period (the time it takes to complete one orbit) is directly proportional to the cube of its average distance from the object it is orbiting. This law is related to the equation of orbits because it is used to calculate an object's orbital speed, which is a key component in the equation.

2. What is the equation for calculating orbital speed?

The equation for calculating orbital speed is v = √(GM/r), where v is the orbital speed, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the object being orbited, and r is the distance between the two objects. This equation is also known as the vis-viva equation.

3. How is the equation of orbits affected by the mass of the object being orbited?

The equation of orbits is directly affected by the mass of the object being orbited. As the mass of the object increases, the gravitational force also increases, leading to a higher orbital speed. This means that the object will need to travel faster to maintain its orbit, resulting in a larger value for the orbital speed in the equation.

4. Can the equation of orbits be applied to all objects in space?

Yes, the equation of orbits can be applied to all objects in space that are in a stable orbit around another object. This includes natural satellites, planets, and even man-made satellites. However, the equation may not be accurate for objects in extreme environments, such as near a black hole.

5. How does eccentricity affect the equation of orbits?

Eccentricity, which is a measure of how elliptical an orbit is, affects the equation of orbits by changing the distance between the two objects. As eccentricity increases, the distance between the two objects varies more, resulting in a change in the orbital speed. This can be seen in the fact that the equation for orbital speed includes the distance between the objects (r), which is affected by the eccentricity of the orbit.