What is the equation for decay of natural sound over time?

In summary, the equation for decay of sound over time (x) is y= 1/c^x, where c is the time constant determined by the Quality Factor of the resonator. The amplitude decreases exponentially with a time constant T=2Q/radial freq. Nature follows this pattern of exponential decay in acoustic attenuation.
mikejm
Let's say you have an impulse of noise, eg. via a guitar string, or a resonant bandpass filter, and it decays naturally. If "1" is the maximum initial amplitude of sound, and "0" is no sound at all, what is the equation for decay of sound over time (x)?

Is it:
y = 1/c^x

Or y = 1/(x+1)^c

I think it is y= 1/c^x but not sure.

What does nature do?

Thanks.

<moved from General Discussion>

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mikejm said:
Let's say you have an impulse of noise, eg. via a guitar string, or a resonant bandpass filter, and it decays naturally. If "1" is the maximum initial amplitude of sound, and "0" is no sound at all, what is the equation for decay of sound over time (x)?

Is it:
y = 1/c^x

Or y = 1/(x+1)^c
Most likely the first, not the second. The second equation is the translation 1 unit to the left of the graph of the first equation.
Also, c in your equations would usually be take to be the natural number e ##\approx 2.71828##, and named after Leonhard Euler, a Swiss mathematician.

Of course, the exponent base is arbitrary, as any exponential function can be rewritten using any other reasonable base.
mikejm said:
I think it is y= 1/c^x but not sure.

What does nature do?

Thanks.

Likes tech99 and berkeman
The decay time constant depends on the Quality Factor, or Q, of the resonator. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q_factor. My interpretation is that the wave decreases exponentially with a certain time constant, T. If the initial amplitude is 1 and the amplitude at time x is a,
a= e^-x/T
The time constant T is equal to 2Q/radial freq.

Likes Klystron
tech99 said:
a= e^-x/T
That would be more correct as ##e^{-x/T}##. As written above, the standard interpretation would be as ##\frac{e^{-x}}{T}##

Likes tech99

Related to What is the equation for decay of natural sound over time?

1. What is the equation for decay of natural sound over time?

The equation for decay of natural sound over time is given by:
I(t) = I0 * e-αt,
where I(t) is the sound intensity at time t, I0 is the initial sound intensity, and α is the decay constant.

2. How is the decay constant determined?

The decay constant is determined by measuring the change in sound intensity over time and using the equation:
α = ln(I0/It)/t,
where ln is the natural logarithm, I0 is the initial sound intensity, It is the sound intensity at time t, and t is the time interval.

3. What factors affect the decay of natural sound over time?

Several factors can affect the decay of natural sound over time, including distance from the sound source, type of material the sound is traveling through, and the frequency and amplitude of the sound wave.

4. Can the equation for decay of natural sound over time be applied to all types of sound?

The equation for decay of natural sound over time can be applied to most types of sound, as long as the sound is propagating in a medium with a constant and uniform sound speed.

5. Is the decay of natural sound over time a linear or exponential process?

The decay of natural sound over time is an exponential process, meaning that the sound intensity decreases exponentially as time passes.