What is the equation for computing the volume of a sphere using C++?

In summary, the program is designed to compute the volume of a sphere using the given sphereRadius and piVal. It is important to note that the equation for the volume of a sphere is $\frac{4}{3} \pi r^3$, and it is necessary to use (4.0 / 3.0) instead of (4 / 3) for floating-point division. Additionally, the code must include the cmath file in order to use the built-in power function. The correct code line for computing the volume is sphereVolume = (4.0 / 3.0) * piVal * (sphereRadius * sphereRadius * sphereRadius).
ineedhelpnow
Given sphereRadius and piVal, compute the volume of a sphere and assign to sphereVolume. Look up the equation online. Use (4.0 / 3.0) to perform floating-point division, instead of (4 / 3) which performs integer division.

Sample program:

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main() {
const double piVal = 3.14159;
double sphereVolume = 0.0;
double sphereRadius = 0.0;

sphereRadius = 1.0;
<STUDENT CODE>
cout << "Sphere volume: " << sphereVolume << endl;

return 0;

ive tried EVERYTHING for this but i still can't figure out how to compute the volume. equation for the volume of a sphere is $\frac{4}{3} \pi r^2$. oh and instead of 4 and 3 i have to use 4.0 and 3.0.

Technology news on Phys.org
ineedhelpnow said:
equation for the volume of a sphere is $\frac{4}{3} \pi r^2$.
Volume is measured in meters cubed, not meters squared.

Hint: There is a tag [CODE]...[/CODE] designed specifically for code segments. It provides monospaced font and preserves alignment.

oops i missed that. I am still not getting it right though.

ineedhelpnow said:
im still not getting it right though.
What code line do you propose? Remember to use sphereRadius and piVal, not their values. Also, use repeated multiplication to compute $r^3$. In order to use the built-in power function, you need to include the cmath file, which the code you've been given does not do.

oh thank u thank u thank u thank u thank u! i was doing sphereVolume = (4.0 / 3.0) * piVal * (sphereRadius ^3);

instead of sphereVolume = (4.0 / 3.0) * piVal * (sphereRadius * sphereRadius * sphereRadius)

Related to What is the equation for computing the volume of a sphere using C++?

1. How do I calculate the volume of a sphere in C++?

To calculate the volume of a sphere in C++, you can use the formula V = (4/3) * π * r^3, where r is the radius of the sphere. You will need to include the cmath library and use the pow() function to raise the radius to the power of 3.

2. Can I use the value of π in my C++ program?

Yes, you can use the value of π in your C++ program by including the cmath library and using the constant M_PI. Alternatively, you can declare your own constant variable for π with a value of 3.14159.

3. How do I prompt the user for the radius of the sphere in my program?

You can prompt the user for the radius of the sphere by using the cin object and the extraction operator (>>). For example, you can use the statement "cout << "Enter the radius of the sphere: "; cin >> radius;" to prompt the user and store their input in the variable "radius".

4. What data type should I use for the radius variable?

The radius variable should be of type double, as it can store decimal values. If you use an integer data type, the result of the volume calculation may not be accurate.

5. How can I print the result of the volume calculation to the console?

You can print the result of the volume calculation to the console by using the cout object and the insertion operator (<<). For example, you can use the statement "cout << "The volume of the sphere is: " << volume;" to print the result, assuming you have stored the result in a variable named "volume".