What is the energy of the most intense gamma peak?

In summary, firing a handgun can leave traces of Ba and Sb compounds on the back of one's hand. These residues contain microgram quantities of these elements, which are 1000 times above the detection threshold for neutron activation analysis. If a swab is taken from a suspect's hand and analyzed via slow neutron activation, the most likely isotope of Sb to be created is 122Sb. According to the National Nuclear Data Centre, the most intense gamma peak emitted from this isotope is 564.24 keV with an intensity of 70.67%. This information is also supported by an image from a neutron activation experiment.
says
Handgun ammunition contains Ba and Sb compounds. Firing a handgun leaves residues of these elements in microgram quantities on the back of ones hand. Such quantities are 1000 times above the detection threshold for neutron activation analysis for Ba and Sb. Assuming a swab is taken from the back of a suspects hand:

If analysed via slow neutron activation, determine which isotope of Sb is likely to be created. Then, consult the National Nuclear Data Centre (http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/nudat2/) and determine the gamma radiation that will be emitted.

What is the energy of the most intense gamma peak? (in keV)
(assume the original target nuclei are those which are naturally most abundant)

121Sb is the most abundant isotope of Sb, so I assume that is the target nuclei. If we are analyzing it via neutron activation that would add 1 neutron to it's mass number, making it 122Sb

I have the decay radiation information for 122Sb here: http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/nudat2/decaysearchdirect.jsp?nuc=122SB&unc=nds

I'm not really sure what I'm looking for on the page though. I believe the answer is 564.24 keV, with an intensity of 70.67 %.

I also found this image from a neutron activation experiment that supports this:
https://carlwillis.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/sb_activation.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Moderator's note: Moved to homework forum.

Related to What is the energy of the most intense gamma peak?

1. What is gamma energy?

Gamma energy is a type of energy that is emitted in the form of electromagnetic waves. These waves have the highest frequency and are therefore the most energetic type of electromagnetic radiation.

2. How is gamma energy measured?

Gamma energy is typically measured in units of electron volts (eV) or kiloelectron volts (keV). This unit is a measure of energy and is commonly used in the field of particle physics.

3. What is the most intense gamma peak?

The most intense gamma peak refers to the peak in the energy spectrum of gamma rays that has the highest intensity or number of gamma rays emitted at that particular energy level. This peak is often used to identify the source of the gamma rays.

4. How is the energy of the most intense gamma peak determined?

The energy of the most intense gamma peak is determined through a process called gamma spectroscopy. This involves using specialized equipment to detect and measure the energy of gamma rays emitted by a source. The resulting energy spectrum can then be analyzed to identify the most intense gamma peak.

5. What factors can affect the energy of the most intense gamma peak?

The energy of the most intense gamma peak can be affected by various factors such as the type of radioactive material emitting the gamma rays, the distance between the source and detector, and any intervening materials that may absorb or scatter the gamma rays. Additionally, the energy of the peak may also be influenced by the detection and measurement capabilities of the equipment used.