What is the energy lost to friction?

In summary, the question is asking for the energy lost to friction when a 15.7 kg block is dragged over a horizontal surface by a 68.7N force acting 17 degrees to the horizontal. The block is displaced 4.65m and has a kinetic friction coefficient of 0.3. The calculated energy lost due to friction is -215 J, but the correct method may need to take into account the angle of 17 degrees and the component of gravity in that direction.
Kumar9
The question is: A 15.7 kg block is dragged over a horizontal surface by a 68.7N force acting 17 degrees to the horizontal. The block is displaced 4.65m, and the kinetic friction coefficient is 0.3. What is the energy lost to friction?

My thinking is that it would be equal to the negative work done by the frictional force (E taken out of the system), but the computer does not recognize this as correct. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
I need to have this figured out soon; if someone could help I would greatly appreciate it.

Kumar9 said:
The question is: A 15.7 kg block is dragged over a horizontal surface by a 68.7N force acting 17 degrees to the horizontal. The block is displaced 4.65m, and the kinetic friction coefficient is 0.3. What is the energy lost to friction?
My thinking is that it would be equal to the negative work done by the frictional force (E taken out of the system), but the computer does not recognize this as correct. What am I missing?
Show us your work. We can't help you otherwise. What is the force of friction?

AM

This is what I have so far:
W=(mgUk)(d)cos180
Where Uk is the coefficient. Plugging in the appropriate values, I get a value of ~-215 J, the E lost due to friction. It seems right, but clearly I'm missing something.

Kumar9 said:
This is what I have so far:
W=(mgUk)(d)cos180
Where Uk is the coefficient. Plugging in the appropriate values, I get a value of ~-215 J, the E lost due to friction. It seems right, but clearly I'm missing something.
I don't understand why you are using 180 degrees. The angle is 17 degrees from horizontal. The normal force perpendicular to the surface is equal and opposite to the component of gravity in that direction. What is the magnitude of that component of gravity? (Hint it is a little less than the weight).

AM

Related to What is the energy lost to friction?

1. What is friction and how does it cause energy loss?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces. When objects slide or rub against each other, friction converts some of the kinetic energy of motion into heat, causing energy loss.

2. How is friction related to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that in any energy conversion process, some energy will inevitably be lost as heat. Friction is one of the main ways that energy is converted into heat, making it closely related to the second law.

3. Can friction be beneficial in any way?

While friction is often seen as a source of energy loss, it can also be beneficial in certain situations. Friction provides the necessary force for objects to grip or stick to each other, allowing us to walk, write, and perform other everyday tasks.

4. How does the amount of energy lost to friction vary?

The amount of energy lost to friction depends on various factors such as the type of surfaces in contact, the amount of force applied, and the speed of the objects. Generally, the greater the force and speed, the more energy will be lost to friction.

5. Can friction be reduced or eliminated?

While it is impossible to completely eliminate friction, it can be reduced through techniques such as lubrication, using smoother surfaces, and reducing the force or speed of the objects in contact. This can help reduce energy loss and improve efficiency in machines and other systems.