What Is the Energy Gap in Superconductors and How Is It Measured?

In summary, the energy gap of a superconductor is the energy needed to break up a cooper pair. It is a measure of the strength of the "glue" that causes the pairing of electrons or holes in conventional superconductors. This energy gap can be measured through various experiments, such as tunneling, optical conductivity, photoemission, and neutron scattering.
NEWO
I need some clarification on what is meant by the energy gap of a superconductor.

From my own understanding, is is caused by the manifestation of cooper pair, and hence can not obey fermi-dirac statistics, but abides with bose-einstein statistics.

However, I feel that this reasoning is not what is required, any other explanations I would appreciate thanks in advance.

Also can this be measured using neutron scattering and quantum tunnelling?

Newo

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
NEWO said:
I need some clarification on what is meant by the energy gap of a superconductor.

From my own understanding, is is caused by the manifestation of cooper pair, and hence can not obey fermi-dirac statistics, but abides with bose-einstein statistics.

However, I feel that this reasoning is not what is required, any other explanations I would appreciate thanks in advance.

Also can this be measured using neutron scattering and quantum tunnelling?

Newo

The superconducting energy gap is the energy in the single-particle spectrum that is needed to break up a cooper pair. That is the simplest explanation of what it is. In conventional superconductors, this energy gap tells you how strong the "glue" is in causing the paring of the electrons (or holes) to form such pairs.

This energy gap can be measured via many experiments, including tunneling, optical conductivity, photoemission, neutron scattering, etc.

Zz.

excelent that's what I needed to know, thanks

NEWO

Related to What Is the Energy Gap in Superconductors and How Is It Measured?

1. What is a superconducting energy gap?

A superconducting energy gap is a characteristic feature of a superconductor, which is a material that exhibits zero resistance to the flow of electricity at very low temperatures. It refers to the energy range in which no electronic states are allowed, creating a gap in the energy spectrum. This gap is responsible for the unique properties of superconductors, such as perfect conductivity and the expulsion of magnetic fields.

2. How is the superconducting energy gap formed?

The superconducting energy gap is formed due to the pairing of electrons in a superconductor. At very low temperatures, electrons form pairs called Cooper pairs, which have a net spin of zero. These pairs are able to move through the material without resistance, creating the superconducting state. The energy gap is a result of the energy required to break the Cooper pairs and disrupt the superconducting state.

3. What is the significance of the superconducting energy gap?

The superconducting energy gap is significant because it is directly related to the critical temperature, which is the temperature at which a material becomes a superconductor. The larger the energy gap, the higher the critical temperature, and the more practical the material is for applications such as power transmission and magnetic levitation.

4. How is the superconducting energy gap measured?

The superconducting energy gap can be measured using various spectroscopic techniques, such as tunneling spectroscopy and point contact spectroscopy. These techniques involve passing a current through a superconductor and measuring the energy of the electrons that tunnel or flow through the material. The energy gap appears as a dip or a step in the resulting energy spectrum.

5. Can the superconducting energy gap be manipulated?

Yes, the superconducting energy gap can be manipulated by changing the temperature or the magnetic field applied to the material. As the temperature increases, the energy gap decreases, eventually disappearing at the critical temperature. Similarly, the energy gap can be reduced or even closed by applying a strong enough magnetic field, known as the upper critical field. This manipulation of the energy gap is crucial for understanding and improving the properties of superconductors for practical applications.