What is the energy due to Spin?

In summary, the conversation discusses the mathematical expression for the energy due to the intrinsic spin in quantum mechanics, including its interaction with a magnetic field and its influence on energy levels. The possibility of an electron having zero energy despite having angular momentum is also explored. However, it is noted that spin is not the only relevant angular momentum in the system, as orbital angular momentum also plays a role. The main question is about the contribution of spin to energy, and it is mentioned that in the case of a free particle, spin does not contribute to energy, but the particle still has kinetic energy.
jonjacson
Hi folks,

A simple question, in classical mechanics for example you have:

-Because of the speed --> Kinetic energy =1/2 m v^2

-Because of position in a gravitational field ---> Potential energy

In quantum mechanics, let's talk about an electron on an hydrogen atom. From the point of view of the energy on an excited state, the electron will have kinetic energy because of the movement, potential energy because of the proton, but WHat is the mathematical expression for the energy due to the intrinsic spin?

THanks

Physics news on Phys.org
jonjacson said:
WHat is the mathematical expression for the energy due to the intrinsic spin?
The effect of spin on the energy levels is manifested in the interaction between electron and a magnetic field. That electron has an intrinsic angular momentum leads to the property that it also has intrinsic magnetic dipole moment. This intrinsic magnetic moment may interact with external magnetic field. When there is only one electron around the nucleus (H-like atom), there is only spin-orbit coupling. This is actually an interaction between electron's magnetic moment and magnetic field created due to the relative motion between the electron and nucleus. As the number of electrons increases, the magnetic moment of one electron can interact with magnetic field generated by the spin of the other electron. This kind of interaction is called spin-spin interaction. Another example where spin of electron influences energy levels can be observed in Zeeman effect where atoms are subjected under a constant magnetic field.

Likes jonjacson
blue_leaf77 said:
The effect of spin on the energy levels is manifested in the interaction between electron and a magnetic field. That electron has an intrinsic angular momentum leads to the property that it also has intrinsic magnetic dipole moment. This intrinsic magnetic moment may interact with external magnetic field. When there is only one electron around the nucleus (H-like atom), there is only spin-orbit coupling. This is actually an interaction between electron's magnetic moment and magnetic field created due to the relative motion between the electron and nucleus. As the number of electrons increases, the magnetic moment of one electron can interact with magnetic field generated by the spin of the other electron. This kind of interaction is called spin-spin interaction. Another example where spin of electron influences energy levels can be observed in Zeeman effect where atoms are subjected under a constant magnetic field.

Very interesting, and another question. If the electron is alone in the Universe, What is its energy due to its intrinsic angular momentum?

IN clasical mecanics if we had a rigid solid rotating on its symmetry axis we would say it has an energy = 1/2 I w^2 .

Where I is the moment of inertia.

What would be the equivalent for the electron due to its intrinsic angular momentum? (And nothing else, no interaction, no magnetic field, no other particles)

jonjacson said:
If the electron is alone in the Universe, What is its energy due to its intrinsic angular momentum?
If this electron roams the space at a non-relativistic velocity, its spin will contribute nothing to its energy. As for when it moves with relativistic-speed, if I am not mistaken, the solution of the energy operator equation (called Dirac equation) suggests that the inclusion of spin leads to the existence of negative energy solution. I cannot comment further on this part though since I have been long since studying this subject.
jonjacson said:
What would be the equivalent for the electron due to its intrinsic angular momentum?
Electron spin does not have classical analogy, moreover it's not correct to view it as a consequence of electron undergoing a rotation around some axis.

Likes jonjacson
blue_leaf77 said:
If this electron roams the space at a non-relativistic velocity, its spin will contribute nothing to its energy. As for when it moves with relativistic-speed, if I am not mistaken, the solution of the energy operator equation (called Dirac equation) suggests that the inclusion of spin leads to the existence of negative energy solution. I cannot comment further on this part though since I have been long since studying this subject.

Electron spin does not have classical analogy, moreover it's not correct to view it as a consequence of electron undergoing a rotation around some axis.

-How is that possible? How is possible that a particle has angular momentum different from zero, but energy equal to 0? I don't get the point in non relativistic velocity.

-That is what I was looking for! I will search information about that.

-Yes I know, it was just an example to show what I meant.

Thanks for your replies!

It depends where you put the zero!

Jilang said:
It depends where you put the zero!
That looks a trick to avoid the question. :biggrin:

jonjacson said:
How is possible that a particle has angular momentum different from zero, but energy equal to 0?
What do you mean by zero energy, I thought I didn't say anything about that?

Well you said there is no contribution of the spin to the energy. Why not?

I mean Spin is an angular momentum, and momentum entails energy, Isn't that correct?

jonjacson said:
Well you said there is no contribution of the spin to the energy. Why not?

I mean Spin is an angular momentum, and momentum entails energy, Isn't that correct?
Spin has no contribution to the energy doesn't mean the energy has to be zero. Free particles still have kinetic energy.
In every case, spin is not the only angular momentum relevant in the system. Remember there is also orbital angular momentum. In the case of free particle, it can be shown that the wavefunction is expandable in spherical harmonics of the form ##Y_{l0}(\theta)##.

blue_leaf77 said:
Spin has no contribution to the energy doesn't mean the energy has to be zero. Free particles still have kinetic energy.
In every case, spin is not the only angular momentum relevant in the system. Remember there is also orbital angular momentum. In the case of free particle, it can be shown that the wavefunction is expandable in spherical harmonics of the form ##Y_{l0}(\theta)##.

Well, maybe I didn't explain it well.

I only want to know the contribution of the Spin to the energy, neglegting everything else, so if you say that the contribution of the Spin to the energy is 0 I understand the energy due to the Spin is 0.

jonjacson said:
if you say that the contribution of the Spin to the energy is 0 I understand the energy due to the Spin is 0.
Yes, that's what I meant.

Likes jonjacson
blue_leaf77 said:
Yes, that's what I meant.

Is it possible to deduce this result from first principles? Or is there a demonstration in any book?

Sure, look for "Pauli equation" in the non-relativistic and "Dirac equation" in the relativistic context.

Likes blue_leaf77
Well I will have a look at Pauli equation, thanks for your answers.

I know the answer for this question is going to be a big NO, haha but I have to ask.

Imagine that somehow you could be able to change the spin of a particle from 1 to 0, Could you extract some energy from that process?

jonjacson said:
Imagine that somehow you could be able to change the spin of a particle from 1 to 0, Could you extract some energy from that process?
If not impossible, that's very unlikely to happen because a particle is assigned with one spin. At least up to what we have observed, there is no way a particle can have two or more distinct spins. If two particles have different spin then they must be of different kind.

Likes jonjacson

Related to What is the energy due to Spin?

1. What is the concept of spin in physics?

The concept of spin in physics refers to the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle. It is a quantum property that determines how a particle behaves under rotation and is related to its magnetic moment. Spin is a fundamental property of particles, and it is an essential aspect of quantum mechanics.

2. What is the energy due to spin?

The energy due to spin is the amount of energy associated with the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle. It is a fundamental part of the total energy of a particle and is included in the Hamiltonian of a quantum system. The energy due to spin can be calculated using the spin quantum number and the spin operator.

3. How is spin related to the Pauli exclusion principle?

The Pauli exclusion principle states that no two fermions (particles with half-integer spin) can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously. This principle is closely related to spin, as the spin of a fermion is one of its defining quantum numbers. The Pauli exclusion principle is essential in understanding the behavior of electrons in atoms and the formation of chemical bonds.

4. Can spin be observed directly?

No, spin cannot be observed directly. It is a quantum property that does not have a classical analog. However, the effects of spin can be observed indirectly, such as in the Zeeman effect, where the energy levels of an atom split due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the spin of the electrons.

5. How does spin contribute to the magnetic properties of materials?

The spin of particles, particularly electrons, is a significant contributor to the magnetic properties of materials. The magnetic moment of an electron, which is related to its spin, determines how the electron will interact with an external magnetic field. This interaction is what gives rise to the magnetic properties of materials. The concept of spin is crucial in understanding and manipulating magnetic materials for various technological applications.