What is the energy dissipation through the wire?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a 3 m long copper wire with a diameter of 6 mm that is connected to a 9 V battery. The equations used to solve for the current and energy dissipation are provided and the attempt at a solution includes incorrect values, which are then corrected.
november1992

Homework Statement

A 3 m long copper wire that has a diameter of 6 mm is connected to a 9 V battery.

a) What is the current through the wire?
b) If wire a was connected to a battery for 1 second, how much energy would the wire dissipate?

Homework Equations

A = [itex]\pi[/itex][itex]r^{2}[/itex]
R = [itex]\rho[/itex][itex]\frac{L}{A}[/itex]
i = [itex]\frac{V}{R}[/itex]
[itex]\rho[/itex] = 1.72 x [itex]10^{-8}[/itex]
P = i * V
W = P * t

The Attempt at a Solution

I got:
R = 1.82mΩ
i = 4945 A
p = 44505.45

I'm unsure of my answers. The values seem to be too high.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations are all correct. Your R is too low by 2 orders of magnitude! Recompute A!

Well, I tried to recalculate A and I got the same answer. I even used an online calculator and I got the same answer

A = [itex]\pi[/itex][itex]r^{2}[/itex]
A = [itex]\pi[/itex] [itex](3 \times 10^{-3}) ^{2}[/itex]
A = [itex]\pi[/itex] (9 [itex]\times[/itex] [itex]10^{-6}[/itex])
A = 2.83 [itex]\times[/itex] [itex]10^{-5}[/itex]

I thought the prefix milli had a magnitude of [itex]10^{-3}[/itex]?

november1992 said:
I thought the prefix milli had a magnitude of [itex]10^{-3}[/itex]?

Er, oops, senior moment on my part. Of course that's right. And so is your original answer. Pardon my goof. :redface:

Related to What is the energy dissipation through the wire?

1. What is energy dissipation through a wire?

Energy dissipation through a wire refers to the process of converting electrical energy into heat energy as it flows through a wire. This is due to the resistance of the wire, which causes some of the energy to be lost in the form of heat.

2. How does energy dissipation occur in a wire?

Energy dissipation occurs in a wire due to the resistance of the wire. As electrons flow through the wire, they encounter resistance from the atoms in the wire, causing some of their kinetic energy to be converted into heat energy.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy dissipated through a wire?

The amount of energy dissipated through a wire is affected by several factors, including the length and thickness of the wire, the type of material the wire is made of, and the amount of current flowing through the wire.

4. How is energy dissipation through a wire calculated?

The amount of energy dissipated through a wire can be calculated using the formula P = I^2R, where P is power (measured in watts), I is current (measured in amps), and R is resistance (measured in ohms). This formula shows that the more current flowing through a wire, the greater the energy dissipation.

5. Why is energy dissipation through a wire important to consider?

Energy dissipation through a wire is important to consider because it can lead to inefficiency and wasted energy in electrical systems. It can also cause the wire to heat up, which can be a safety hazard. Understanding and managing energy dissipation is crucial for optimizing the performance and safety of electrical systems.