What is the energy content of natural gas on an LNG transporter?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the energy content of LNG being transported on a ship. The LNG is composed of primarily methane and has a pressure of 160 mbar in the tank. The speaker is asking for help calculating the exact percentages and energy content of the LNG. They also mention the possibility of converting the LNG into gas phase methane and the resulting energy loss. The ultimate goal is to determine the amount of BTUs that will be delivered at the destination.
Teodor Xypolitidis
My brother is working on an LNG transporter and I would like to know how much energy there is in the LNG the ship is transporting, here is the info I got :
Methane ISO6974 99.8518 mole%
ethane 0.0137 mole%
propane 0.0000 mole%
i-butane 0.0000 mole%
n-butane 0.0000 mole%
i-Pentane 0.0000 mole%
n-Pentane 0.0000 mole%
c6+ 0.0000 mole%
Nitrogen 0.1345 mole%
Carbon Dioxide 0.0000 mole%
Oxygen 0.0000 mole%
The pressure in the tank is 160 mbar and the ambient pressure is 116 mbar.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Liquid water or water vapor?

How much methane is in the tanks? You can Google for the combustion energy (per pund, kg, et,). If you want, you can add the energy to liquefy it, but that's a small fraction.

russ_watters said:
How much methane is in the tanks? You can Google for the combustion energy (per pund, kg, et,). If you want, you can add the energy to liquefy it, but that's a small fraction.
I have written the info about the consistency of the natural gas the % of methane etc but I don't know how to calculate it, I want to know about this exact percentages and these pressures

Bystander said:
Liquid water or water vapor?
what do you mean by that ?

Teodor Xypolitidis said:
I have written the info about the consistency of the natural gas the % of methane etc but I don't know how to calculate it, I want to know about this exact percentages and these pressures
No, I mean total volume or mass - you may as well assume it is 100% methane. It is a simple multiplication exercise if you have the mass and the energy per unit mass.

Teodor Xypolitidis said:
what do you mean by that ?
If you burn something and then condense the water out of the combustion products, you get about 20% more energy. That's referred to as the higher (as opposed to lower) heating value.

The energy of combustion of gas phase methane is available in a reference book - look it up. But you first have to covert the LN2 in the tanks into gas phase methane. That is energy absorbe, and a loss. There are tables with that info, too. The combustion products are gaseous H2O and CO2. Forget about condensation.

What are you trying to actually determine, is it the amount of BTU's that will be delivered at the vessel's destination?

Related to What is the energy content of natural gas on an LNG transporter?

What is the energy content of natural gas?

The energy content of natural gas varies depending on its composition, but on average, one cubic foot of natural gas contains about 1,000 BTUs (British Thermal Units) of energy.

How is the energy content of natural gas measured?

The energy content of natural gas is typically measured in BTUs or joules. It can also be measured in cubic feet (for volume) or pounds (for weight). Different units may be used in different countries.

What factors affect the energy content of natural gas?

The energy content of natural gas can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type of gas (e.g. methane, ethane, propane), the source of the gas (e.g. shale, conventional reservoir), and the amount of impurities (e.g. carbon dioxide, nitrogen) present.

How does natural gas compare to other energy sources in terms of energy content?

Natural gas has a higher energy content compared to other fossil fuels such as coal and oil. It has about 30-50% more energy per unit volume than gasoline, and about 80-90% more energy per unit volume than propane.

Can the energy content of natural gas be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, the energy content of natural gas can be converted into other forms of energy such as electricity. This process typically involves burning the gas to generate heat, which then powers turbines to produce electricity. It can also be used as a fuel for heating and cooking in homes and businesses.