What is the electrostatic force on the Y charge?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving three metal spheres with charges placed in an equilateral triangle formation. The sides of the triangle are 0.012 m and the charges are -2.5 C, 3.00 C, and 4 C. The task is to calculate the electrostatic force on the Y charge. The individual efforts of calculating Fxy and Fzy and adding them together were unsuccessful. The conversation also mentions the possibility of treating the electrostatic force as a vector with both magnitude and direction.
LanaArwen
First off idk if this is the right topic to post in but I've been at this problem for hours and I have no idea how to solve it.

Three metal spheres are situated in positions forming and equlateral triangle with sides of 0.012 m. X has a charge of -2.5 C. Y has a charge of 3.00 C. Z has a charge of 4 C. Calculate the electrostatic force on the Y charge.

I have tried calculating Fxy and Fzy and adding those values together but i get the wrong answer. I also have no idea of the angle

Physics news on Phys.org
LanaArwen said:
First off idk if this is the right topic to post in but I've been at this problem for hours and I have no idea how to solve it.

Three metal spheres are situated in positions forming and equlateral triangle with sides of 0.012 m. X has a charge of -2.5 C. Y has a charge of 3.00 C. Z has a charge of 4 C. Calculate the electrostatic force on the Y charge.

I have tried calculating Fxy and Fzy and adding those values together but i get the wrong answer. I also have no idea of the angle

What don't you understand about equilateral triangles? :frown:

Since you know the location of each charge relative to one another, the electrostatic force between them should be treated like a vector: magnitude and direction.

Hello Lana, welcome to PF :smile:
LanaArwen said:
I have tried calculating Fxy and Fzy
Cold you post your work ? we might be able to see where it goes wrong -- if at all (book answers aren't always the right answers!)

For future reference, this belongs in Introductory Physics, not Advanced.

Related to What is the electrostatic force on the Y charge?

1. What is electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force is a type of force that exists between two stationary charged particles. It is caused by the attraction or repulsion of electric charges.

2. How is electrostatic force measured?

Electrostatic force is measured in units of Newtons (N) and is calculated using Coulomb's Law, which takes into account the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them.

3. What are some examples of electrostatic force?

Some examples of electrostatic force include the attraction between a positively charged balloon and a negatively charged wall, the repulsion between two positively charged balloons, and the attraction between a positively charged balloon and a person's hair.

4. What factors affect the strength of electrostatic force?

The strength of electrostatic force is affected by the magnitude of the charges (larger charges have a stronger force), the distance between the charges (closer distance results in a stronger force), and the medium between the charges (some materials can decrease or increase the strength of the force).

5. How is electrostatic force different from other types of forces?

Electrostatic force is different from other types of forces because it only exists between stationary charged particles. Other forces, such as gravitational force and magnetic force, can exist between stationary and moving particles.