What is the electron mobility of copper?

In summary, the electrical conductivity of copper is 5.96 x 10^7 S/m. Its atomic weight is 65.546 AMU and the charge on the electron is 1.06 x 10^-19 coulombs. The density of copper is 8.92 g/cm^3, assuming one free electron per copper atom. To calculate the mobility in cm^2/volt-sec, use the formula σ = nqμ, where σ is the conductivity, n is the number density of electrons, and μ is the mobility. Convert all units to a consistent system, such as SI, before making calculations.
S_Flaherty
The electrical conductivity of copper is 5.96 x 10^7 S/m; its atomic weight is
65.546 AMU; the charge on the electron is 1.06 x 10-19 coulombs; the density of
copper is 8.92 g/cm^3. Assume there is one free electron per copper atom. Calculate
the mobility in cm^2/volt-sec.

This is a question from my electronics lab course and i am not sure how to even start with it.
This problem probably isn't that difficult but i have no idea what equations to use since my prof
thinks that everyone knows much more than they do and rarely tells us what equations to use.
Any help with this would be really appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone willing to help?

I'm learning this alongside with you:

<< There is a simple relation between mobility and electrical conductivity. Let σ = conductivity, n = number density of electrons, and μ = mobility. Then

σ = nqμ.

This formula is valid when the conductivity is due entirely to electrons. >>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_mobility

rude man said:
I'm learning this alongside with you:

<< There is a simple relation between mobility and electrical conductivity. Let σ = conductivity, n = number density of electrons, and μ = mobility. Then

σ = nqμ.

This formula is valid when the conductivity is due entirely to electrons. >>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_mobility

So i did the calculations and got 68.61 cm^2/V s, is that correct?

Didn't do them myself. What were your σ, n and q?

rude man said:
Didn't do them myself. What were your σ, n and q?

σ and q are in the question and i calculated n by converting the density of copper to the density of electrons and got 8.195 x 10^22 electrons/cm^3

We got problems.

Starting with the charge of the electron not being 1.06e-19 but 1.60e-19 C.

Then, you're mixing units. You must express all quantities in one consistent system of units. Personally I'm an SI man but there are others, e.g. the cgs system the wacko theoretical types prefer :-). Grams and cm are cgs, but the conductivity is given in S/m which is SI. I suggest you convert to SI for everything. Mainly because if I am to check your calculations I want to do it in SI. Cgs makes me nervous.

n is number of Cu atoms per m^3. Convert amu of 1 Cu atom to kg, then knowing the density of Cu you can compute the number of Cu atoms in 1 m^3 volume = n.

Related to What is the electron mobility of copper?

1. What is electron mobility?

Electron mobility is a measure of how easily electrons can move through a material. It is typically measured in units of cm^2/V*s.

2. Why is finding electron mobility important?

Electron mobility is an important property to understand in materials science and electronics. It can affect the performance of electronic devices and help researchers design more efficient materials for various applications.

3. How is electron mobility measured?

Electron mobility is typically measured using a technique called Hall effect measurement. This involves applying a magnetic field to a material and measuring the voltage that develops across the material, which can then be used to calculate the electron mobility.

4. What factors can affect electron mobility?

Electron mobility can be affected by a variety of factors, including the material's crystal structure, impurities, temperature, and electric field strength. These factors can either increase or decrease the electron mobility.

5. How is electron mobility related to conductivity?

Electron mobility and conductivity are closely related. Higher electron mobility means electrons can move more easily through a material, resulting in a higher conductivity. Conversely, lower electron mobility leads to lower conductivity.