What is the Electric Field Strength of the Sun?

In summary, the conversation discusses the electric field strength of the Sun and its measurement. While there are electric fields within the plasma of the Sun, it is considered to be electrically neutral. The electric field in the corona/heliosphere is too small to measure, but there are theories that suggest it may play a role in the dynamics of the solar wind. The standard model for the solar wind is driven by thermal pressure gradients, but there are also beliefs that wave-particle and/or diamagnetic effects may play a role. The conversation also mentions the power density of the Sun's radiation on Earth and the impedance of free space.
DiamondGeezer
Sorry if this is the wrong forum (its difficult to tell)

What is the electric field strength of the Sun, how is it measured and what is its origin?

Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The question is appropriate for this forum as it pertains to solar plasma physics.

There are electric fields within the plasma that constitutes the sun, and the field exists among the free nuclei, free electrons and ions. Basically an electric field exists between or among + and - charges. As far as we know, the sun is electrically neutral.

Here is a reference. Unfortunately the full paper must be purchased.

Electric fields in the solar atmosphere: A review
http://www.springerlink.com/content/t7841r86w12771h6/

I suppose what I'm asking for is the Electric field strength of the Sun as measured from the Earth. I assume that this electric field both accelerates and maintains the solar wind.

DiamondGeezer said:
I suppose what I'm asking for is the Electric field strength of the Sun as measured from the Earth. I assume that this electric field both accelerates and maintains the solar wind.

or am I wrong to assume this?

There should be an electric field in the corona/heliosphere, owing the fact that electrons and protons have a much different mass. But, this field is too small to measure.

There are some theories that the solar wind dynamics are related to this field, the 'exospheric theory'. But, most in the field don't consider that the wind is driven by the electric field. One thing to consider is that the wind is quasineutral, so that the net force from a large scale field is zero.

The standard model of the solar wind posits that it is drived by thermal pressure gradients, analogous to fluid flow from a nozzle. but, this can't explain the observations. I side with those who believe wave-particle and/or diamagnetic effects drive the high-speed (800 km/sec) wind and explosive events drive the slow speed (400 km/sec) wind.

About 750 Volts / Metre or 1.4 KW / sq metre over all wavelengths.

heliotrope said:
There should be an electric field in the corona/heliosphere, owing the fact that electrons and protons have a much different mass. But, this field is too small to measure.

There are some theories that the solar wind dynamics are related to this field, the 'exospheric theory'. But, most in the field don't consider that the wind is driven by the electric field. One thing to consider is that the wind is quasineutral, so that the net force from a large scale field is zero.

The standard model of the solar wind posits that it is drived by thermal pressure gradients, analogous to fluid flow from a nozzle. but, this can't explain the observations. I side with those who believe wave-particle and/or diamagnetic effects drive the high-speed (800 km/sec) wind and explosive events drive the slow speed (400 km/sec) wind.

It's difficult to see how the solar wind, which is composed of charged particles, could be driven to such high speeds without an electric potential to drive them.

Pumblechook said:
About 750 Volts / Metre or 1.4 KW / sq metre over all wavelengths.

Can you tell me where you got these figures?

Related to What is the Electric Field Strength of the Sun?

1. What is the electric field of the Sun?

The electric field of the Sun is a measure of the strength and direction of the electric force exerted by the Sun's charged particles on other charged particles in its vicinity. It is typically described in units of volts per meter (V/m).

2. How is the electric field of the Sun created?

The electric field of the Sun is created by the charged particles in its atmosphere, which are primarily protons and electrons. The movement of these charged particles creates an electric field around the Sun, similar to how a magnet creates a magnetic field.

3. How strong is the electric field of the Sun?

The strength of the electric field of the Sun varies depending on the location and activity of the Sun. On average, it is estimated to be around 1-2 V/m at the surface of the Sun, but it can reach up to 100 V/m in regions of high solar activity.

4. How does the electric field of the Sun affect Earth?

The electric field of the Sun can have a significant impact on Earth's magnetic field and the particles in its atmosphere. It can cause disturbances in Earth's magnetic field and lead to phenomena such as auroras. It can also affect satellites and communication systems in space.

5. How do scientists study the electric field of the Sun?

Scientists study the electric field of the Sun using a variety of instruments, such as satellites and ground-based telescopes. They measure the electric field by analyzing the interactions between the charged particles in the Sun's atmosphere and the charged particles in the surrounding space environment.