What is the Electric Field for a Charged Sheet at Different Distances?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the electric field at two different positions around a uniformly distributed charge on a flat square sheet of thin aluminum foil. The formula for calculating the electric field at a point close to a surface is discussed, but it is noted that this formula may not apply for the second position due to the distance from the object. The suggestion is made to consider treating the object as a charged particle and breaking down the problem into smaller parts.
Fanman22
A flat square sheet of thin aluminum foil, 25 cm on a side, carries a uniformly distributed -36 nC charge. What is the approximate electric field at the following positions?

a.)0.01m above surface?
b.) 20m above the sheet?

For a.), I used E=chargedensity/(2)epsilon. From my understanding, this can only be used for points far from the edges and close to a surface.

So for b.), this formula does not apply. I cannot find anything in my notes or the text that describes this situation.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fanman22 said:
For a.), I used E=chargedensity/(2)epsilon. From my understanding, this can only be used for points far from the edges and close to a surface.
Right.

So for b.), this formula does not apply. I cannot find anything in my notes or the text that describes this situation.
Hint: If you are far enough away, you can treat the object as a charged particle.

Fanman22 said:

Try breaking it down. If the charge on the plate were a single point charge, what would the field be? If the charge was split into two point charges separated by 25 cm, how much would this change the result? What about 3 or 4?

damn, I tried that earlier because it seemed like as you got further and further away, the sheet would appear small (like a pt charge)...only problem was...I forgot to square the 20m

Related to What is the Electric Field for a Charged Sheet at Different Distances?

What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in physics that relates the distribution of electric charge to the resulting electric field. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is proportional to the enclosed electric charge.

How is Gauss's Law applied in physics?

Gauss's Law is used to calculate the electric field in situations with high symmetry, such as spherical or cylindrical symmetry. It allows us to simplify complex situations and make calculations easier.

What are the assumptions of Gauss's Law?

The main assumptions of Gauss's Law are that the electric field is constant over the surface, the surface is closed, and there are no external electric fields present.

Can Gauss's Law be applied to situations with non-uniform charge distributions?

Yes, Gauss's Law can be applied to situations with non-uniform charge distributions. However, the calculations may be more complex and require integration.

What is the significance of Gauss's Law in electromagnetism?

Gauss's Law is one of the four Maxwell's equations, which form the basis of classical electromagnetism. It plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of electric fields and is used extensively in the study of electromagnetism.