What Is the Electric Field at the Surface of a Geiger Counter?

In summary, the problem involves finding the electric field at the surface of a wire and a cylinder, with a potential difference of 855 V applied between them. Using Gauss' Law and the potential-field equation, the electric field is calculated to be 4214 V/m for the wire and 66.06 MV/m for the cylinder. However, it is suggested that the calculation may be incorrect due to not factoring in the contribution of both charges in the cylinder. Additionally, there may be a mistake in the given values for the radii.
manenbu

Homework Statement

Taken from Resnick and Halliday:

A Geiger counter has a metal cylinder 2.10 cm in diameter along whose axis is stretched a wire 1.34E-4 cm in diameter. If 855 V is applied between them, find the electric field at the surface of (a) the wire and (b) the cylinder.

Homework Equations

Gauss' Law, potential-field

The Attempt at a Solution

Field inside the counter is by Gauss' law:

[tex]dq = \epsilon_0 E dA = \epsilon_0 E 2 \pi\ r dL[/tex]
rearranging and using [itex]\lambda = \frac{dq}{dL}[/itex]:
[tex]
E = \frac{\lambda}{\epsilon_0 2 \pi r}
[/tex]

now:
[tex]
V = \int E dr = \frac{\lambda}{\epsilon_0 2 \pi}\int\frac{dr}{r}
[/tex]
solving from r1 to r2:
[tex]
V = \frac{\lambda}{\epsilon_0 2 \pi}\ln{\frac{r_2}{r_1}}
[/tex]
solving for [itex]\lambda[/itex] and putting into the expression of E from before:
[tex]E = \frac{V}{r \ln{\frac{r_2}{r_1}}}[/tex]
plugging in the numbers from the beginning of the post, I get for r1 and r1:
4214 V/m
66.06 MV/m

The answers given in the appendix of the book are 2 times my (8kV/m and 132 MV/m).
Where did I miss a factor of 2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi!

I'm not 100% sure but I think you are just calculating the electric field generated by one of the elements. In the cylinder, there will be a charge Q (or -Q), and in the wire a charge of opposite sign, so each one will generate an electric field, which inside the cylinder have the same direction. So the electric field through your Gaussian surface will be the sum of these two vectors, that have the same magnitude and direction. It's from here that comes the factor of 2 (because you need to multiply by two the final electric field).

I hope this helps.

i am sorry cathode-ray but i strongly disagree, this is the last thing to be said someone who is dealing with gauss' law, outer cylinder is perfectly symmetric that it won't have any effective electric field inside and it is clear if you take a cylinderic gaussian area.
there is just one weird notation about you calculation, the rest is ok i think book is wrong or you calculate wrong (i can't check i lost my calculator)
you don't have to deal with
dq = 2(pi)€E dA = €E2(pi)rdL
if you say dL then your gaussian area is like a disk and you can't count its area, it is close to zero but it is not an exact mistake.
Just put numbers again, be sure you don't do any mistakes

I'm sorry. You're right sigmaro. I'm also studying electromagnetism, but definitively I need to study more. Thanks for the help and Merry Christmas.

Note: http://www.cartage.org.lb/en/themes/sciences/Physics/Electromagnetism/Electrostatics/Capacitors/Capacitors/Parallelplate/Example/Example.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:
radii = diameters/2

like gneill stated,

2.10 cm and 1.34E-4 cm are diameters and you need radii

*it didn't matter in the expression ln(R/r) because the 1/2 factor cancels out.

Related to What Is the Electric Field at the Surface of a Geiger Counter?

What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of work needed to move a unit charge from one point to another in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V).

How is electric potential different from electric field?

Electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the potential energy per unit charge at a given point, while electric field is a vector quantity that describes the force per unit charge at a given point.

What is the formula for electric potential?

The formula for electric potential is V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance from the charge.

What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a property of a point in an electric field, while electric potential energy is the potential energy of a charge at a particular point in an electric field. Electric potential energy is equal to the charge multiplied by the electric potential at that point.

What are some real-life applications of electric potential and fields?

Electric potential and fields have many practical applications, including powering electronic devices, generating electricity, and controlling the flow of electricity in circuits. Additionally, they are essential in understanding lightning and the Earth's magnetic field.