What is the electric field at a distance of 2.0 m from a point charge of 40 J/C?

In summary, the electric field at a distance of 1.0 m from a point charge is 40 J/C and the question is asking for the electric field at a distance of 2.0 m from the point charge. The correct formula for electric field is E=Kq/r^2, where K is a constant equal to 9x10^9 N and q is the charge. The standard units for electric field are N/C, not J/C. Therefore, to find the electric field at 2.0 m, you must first find the value of q and then use the formula to calculate the electric field.
wakejosh

Homework Statement

at a distance of 1.0 m from a point charge, the electric field is 40 J/C. What is the electric field at a distance of 2.0 m from the point charge?

The Attempt at a Solution

so, i understand that the elecric field should be = charge/distance(squared).

so I did:
40/(2^2) = 10 J/C

Is this correct or am i missing something? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure it's J/c? Isn't that volts? Shouldn't it be N/c?

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSCI/PHYS/CLASS/estatics/u8l4b3.gif

The standard metric units on electric field strength arise from its definition. Since electric field is defined as a force per charge, its units would be force units divided by charge units. In this case, the standard metric units are Newton/Coulomb or N/C.

Excuse me if I'm blabbering, I'm just trying to look smart with my less than a year's worth of physics:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
im no craque at physics, but all my options are in J/C.

[tex]E=\frac{Kq}{r^2}[/tex]
[tex]k=\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon}=9x10^9N[/tex]
Find q, and then use the above equations to find E at r=2.

Related to What is the electric field at a distance of 2.0 m from a point charge of 40 J/C?

1. What is a point electrical field?

A point electrical field is a type of electric field that is created by a single point charge. This means that the electric field lines radiate outwards from the point charge in all directions.

2. How is a point electrical field calculated?

The strength of a point electrical field is calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the strength of the electric field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the point charge and inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the point charge.

3. What is the difference between a point electrical field and a uniform electrical field?

A point electrical field is created by a single point charge, while a uniform electrical field is created by multiple charges that are evenly distributed. Additionally, a point electrical field has a strength that varies with distance from the point charge, while a uniform electrical field has a constant strength throughout.

4. Can a point electrical field exist in a vacuum?

Yes, a point electrical field can exist in a vacuum. In fact, it is often used as a model to simplify calculations in vacuum devices such as electron microscopes and particle accelerators.

5. How can a point electrical field be shielded or blocked?

A point electrical field can be shielded or blocked by placing a grounded metal object between the point charge and the area where the electric field is not desired. This will cause the electric field lines to terminate on the metal object instead of continuing on to the desired area.