What is the electric field 4cm from a uniformly charged plate?

In summary, the electric field 4cm from a large flat plate with a uniformly distributed charge is the same as the electric field 2cm from the plate, at 30 N/C. This is due to the fact that the electric field for a sheet of charge is given by E = charge density / (2 * epsilon), which is independent of distance. Therefore, the correct answer to the given question is C, 30 N/C.
roflcopter

Homework Statement

Charge is distributed uniformly on the surface of a large flat plate. The electric field 2cm from the plate is 30 N/C. The electric field 4cm from the plate is:

A. 120 N/C
B. 80 N/C
C. 30 N/C
D. 15 N/C
E. 7.5 N/C

Homework Equations

E=kq/r^2 (possibly)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, the answer I got was E, 7.5 N/C. I got that by using the above equation, plugging in 30 for E and 2 for r and solving for q. Then, I used that same value of q and the new r to solve for E and got 7.5 N/C. Supposedly the correct answer is C, 30 N/C. I don't understand how they got that though. Why is the E field still the same? Shouldn't it be decreasing with the greater distance?

Anyways, I think I might be wrong because I remembered afterwards that E=kq/r^2 is the E field due to a point charge and not a plate...maybe that's why I got the wrong answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
roflcopter said:
... I remembered afterwards that E=kq/r^2 is the E field due to a point charge and not a plate...maybe that's why I got the wrong answer?

I think you are on to something.

What is the field of a sheet of charge?

LowlyPion said:
I think you are on to something.

What is the field of a sheet of charge?

Oh. I believe it's in here: http://230nsc1.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elesht.html

So the eq looks like E=charge density/2*epsilon. So this is independent of distance. I see.

Yep. Thanks for the help!

Actually you solved it yourself.

The best outcome of all.

Related to What is the electric field 4cm from a uniformly charged plate?

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force experienced by a charged particle in an electric field. It is created by the presence of electric charges and can be represented by electric field lines.

2. How is an electric field measured?

An electric field can be measured using a device called an electric field meter, which measures the strength of the electric field at a specific point in space. The unit of measurement for electric field is volts per meter (V/m).

3. What is the difference between an electric field and an electric potential?

While an electric field describes the force experienced by a charged particle, electric potential describes the energy of a charged particle in an electric field. In other words, electric potential is a measure of the potential energy of a charged particle in an electric field, while electric field is a measure of the force experienced by the particle in that field.

4. How does the presence of a charged object affect the electric field around it?

A charged object creates an electric field around it. The strength of the electric field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge and inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the charged object. Therefore, the closer the charged object is to a point in space, the stronger the electric field will be at that point.

5. Can an electric field exist in a vacuum?

Yes, an electric field can exist in a vacuum as it is a fundamental physical quantity that exists in the absence of matter. In fact, electromagnetic waves, such as light, are examples of electric and magnetic fields propagating through a vacuum.