What is the effect of a square transparent rectangle on the meniscus in a tube?

In summary: There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. The contact angle is influenced by a variety of factors, including the size and shape of the solid particles, the composition of the liquid and the surface tension of the liquid and solid particles.
Helphelphelp
Hi,
I was wondering about the meniscus we get in a round tube, like a test tube or a boiling tube, or even a classic measuring cylinder. If we have a square transparent rectangle with water in - would this at all reduce the effect of the meniscus?
How else is the effect of the meniscus reduced? I have been researching it and it suggested by putting it in a water bath.
Does the material affect it? I know mercury inverts the meniscus, but is there any known substance which gives a flat reading?
Thank you so much, even if you could just answer anyone of these it's really appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Helphelphelp said:
Hi,
I was wondering about the meniscus we get in a round tube, like a test tube or a boiling tube, or even a classic measuring cylinder. If we have a square transparent rectangle with water in - would this at all reduce the effect of the meniscus?
How else is the effect of the meniscus reduced? I have been researching it and it suggested by putting it in a water bath.
Does the material affect it? I know mercury inverts the meniscus, but is there any known substance which gives a flat reading?
Thank you so much, even if you could just answer anyone of these it's really appreciated :)
With a little Google searching, I found that the choice of the tube's material can give you a flat water meniscus. Search down this page for "meniscus"

http://www.visionlearning.com/en/library/Chemistry/1/Properties-of-Liquids/222
Adhesion
Adhesion is the tendency of a compound to interact with another compound. (Remember that, in contrast, cohesion is the tendency of a compound to interact with itself.) Adhesion helps explain how liquids interact with their containers and with other liquids.

One example of an interaction with high adhesion is that between water and glass. Both water and glass are held together by polar [verb] To hold or fasten units such as atoms or... read more " title="" style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(48, 110, 43); padding: 4px 2px; white-space: nowrap;">bonds. Therefore, the two materials can also form favorable polar interactions with each other, leading to high adhesion. You may have even seen these attractive adhesive forces in action in lab. When water is in a glass graduated cylinder, for example, the water creeps up the sides of the glass, creating a concave curve at the top called a meniscus, as shown in the figure below. Water in graduated cylinders made out of some types of non-polar plastic, on the other hand, forms a flat meniscus because there are neither attractive nor repellant cohesive forces between the water and the plastic. (See Figure 8 for a comparison of polar and non-polar graduated cylinders.)

Likes Helphelphelp
Helphelphelp said:
If we have a square transparent rectangle with water in - would this at all reduce the effect of the meniscus?

That's an interesting question. The physical quantity that matters is the curvature of the fluid-fluid interface because that's the energy of the surface, which is minimized. In the vicinity of the corners, if the corners are sufficiently square (say, the inside corners of a proper cuvette), the curvature can be sufficiently high as to interfere with wetting (movement of the solid-fluid-fluid contact line), leading to changes in the contact angle in the vicinity of the inside corner. As I recall, if the liquid wets the glass, the liquid is 'wicked' up the interior corners, so I suspect the opposite occurs when the fluid does not wet the glass.

http://pubs.rsc.org/services/images...e/2015/CC/c5cc01480h/c5cc01480h-f1_hi-res.gif

It's easy to check- I'll try and remember to try this when I get back in the lab (in a week).

About your other question- the contact angle can be (somewhat) controlled- that is, it's easy to make a surface wetting or nonwetting for (say) water, but it's not so simple to make a surface that water forms a contact angle at a specified angle.

http://pubs.rsc.org/services/images...cleimage/2011/LC/c1lc20388f/c1lc20388f-f6.gif

Pickering emulsions have solid particles pinned at a fluid-fluid interface, in some cases the contact angle is 90 degrees, but I don't know the secret recipe.

Likes Fervent Freyja

Related to What is the effect of a square transparent rectangle on the meniscus in a tube?

What is the meniscus?

The meniscus is the curved surface of a liquid in a container, caused by surface tension and adhesion between the liquid and the container.

Why does the meniscus form in a square tube?

The meniscus forms in a square tube due to the surface tension and adhesion of the liquid to the sides of the tube. The corners of the square tube create a small concave shape in the liquid's surface, resulting in the formation of a meniscus.

How does the meniscus affect measurements in a square tube?

The meniscus can affect measurements in a square tube by causing the liquid level to appear higher or lower than it actually is. This is because the meniscus can distort the true level of the liquid in the tube. It is important to take the bottom of the meniscus as the true measurement level.

Can the meniscus be affected by different liquids?

Yes, the meniscus can be affected by different liquids. Factors such as surface tension, adhesion, and density can all influence the shape and height of the meniscus in a square tube.

How can the meniscus be accurately measured in a square tube?

To accurately measure the meniscus in a square tube, it is important to use a ruler or other measuring device to determine the bottom of the meniscus. This will give a more precise measurement of the liquid level in the tube.