What is the effect of a Laser on gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of laser beams on cancelling or reducing gravity. The discussion touches on various topics such as laser propulsion and light sails, and also mentions the impact of gravity on laser beams. The conversation also mentions potential sources for further information and suggests looking into pp-wave spacetimes in general relativity.
alaa_nasef
Hi everyone,
I have this topic ,and I searched all over the internet without any results
what is the affect of Laser Beam on cancelling the Gravity or reducing it
if anyone can refer to a reference that can help me I will appreciate it

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What kind of an effect are you asking about? Do you mean like laser propulsion of space probes? Or some (tiny) interaction of light with matter?

Also, is this a schoolwork assignment? For what level of class?

I think the more appropriate question is
‘What is the effect of gravity on a laser beam?’
Gravity is space time curvature in the presence of mass and energy. You might want to look up the experiment where during a solar eclipse the light of a star spatially located directly behind the line of sight to the sun from earth, could still be seen because of its curved path around the mass energy of the sun. In a lesser sense, however, a. Laser does affect gravity a wee wee bit because it’s energy curves space time an o so small amount. I wouldn’t count on a laser pulse as being some sort of anti gravity wave, though.

Likes davenn, anorlunda and berkeman
In GR an ultra high energy laser beam would indeed produce spacetime curvature. These are the so called pp-wave spacetimes. Unfortunately, I don’t know much more than their name.

Likes PhanthomJay

Related to What is the effect of a Laser on gravity

1. What is a laser?

A laser is a device that produces an intense, narrow beam of light through the process of stimulated emission. It stands for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation.

2. How does a laser affect gravity?

A laser does not have any direct effect on gravity. However, it can be used to measure the effects of gravity on objects by creating precise measurements and observing how they change in the presence of gravity.

3. Can a laser be used to manipulate gravity?

No, a laser cannot manipulate gravity. Gravity is a fundamental force of nature and cannot be altered or controlled by human technology.

4. Is there any research on the relationship between lasers and gravity?

Yes, there is ongoing research on the use of lasers to study gravity and its effects. Some scientists are also exploring the potential for using lasers to detect gravitational waves, which are ripples in the fabric of spacetime caused by massive objects.

5. Are there any practical applications of using lasers to study gravity?

Yes, there are many practical applications of using lasers to study gravity. For example, lasers are used in precision measurements of gravitational acceleration, which can be applied in fields such as geology, seismology, and aerospace engineering. Lasers are also used in gravitational wave detectors, which can help us better understand the universe and its origins.