What is the dual nature of electrons and how does it relate to Quantum Theory?

In summary, electrons have been found to have both particle and wave-like properties, as demonstrated in the dual slit experiment. This concept, known as wave-particle duality, is a fundamental principle in Quantum Theory.
san203
Gold Member
I am back with another doubt and i am in 11th grade now

Can someone please explain what the electron really is.
I have been taught that it was a particle when suddenly(i was expecting this) the teacher says that Electron has dual nature just like light(both particle as well as wave).I have real trouble visualizing this.
What is this dual nature thing exactly?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
See this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave–particle_duality

It has been shown that all particles, including electrons, have properties of particles and properties of waves depending on how we measure them. The dual slit experiment is a perfect example. Shooting one electron at a time through the slits gives rise to an interference pattern over time, which is a wavelike property. (This means that in our everyday world only actual waves such as water waves would show this property, not something like baseballs) Since there is only one electron at a time in the slits, the electrons must be interfering with themselves to form an interference pattern.

Welcome to Quantum Theory 101.

Related to What is the dual nature of electrons and how does it relate to Quantum Theory?

1. What are electrons?

Electrons are subatomic particles that have a negative charge and are found in the shells or orbitals of atoms. They are one of the fundamental building blocks of matter.

2. How are electrons involved in radiation?

Electrons are involved in radiation as they are the particles that are emitted or absorbed when an atom undergoes a nuclear or radioactive decay. They can also be accelerated to produce electromagnetic radiation, such as in X-rays or gamma rays.

3. How do electrons interact with matter?

Electrons interact with matter through electromagnetic forces, which can cause them to be either attracted or repelled from other particles. They can also transfer their energy to other particles through collisions, leading to various chemical and physical reactions.

4. What is the relationship between electrons and energy?

Electrons have both mass and energy, and the amount of energy they possess is directly related to their speed and distance from the nucleus. They can also absorb or emit energy in the form of photons when transitioning between energy levels in an atom.

5. How do electrons play a role in technology?

Electrons play a crucial role in technology, as they are the basis of electricity and are used in electronic devices such as computers and smartphones. They are also used in medical imaging techniques, like MRI, and in industrial processes such as welding and radiation therapy.