What is the dot product of tensors?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a dot product of two rank 2 tensors, with one person questioning how it is calculated and the other providing a potential interpretation and mentioning its use in computational fluid dynamics problems. The link provided explains the concept and also mentions the use of a single and double dot tensor product.
sugarmolecule
Hello,

I was trying to follow a proof that uses the dot
product of two rank 2 tensors, as in A dot B.

How is this dot product calculated?

A is 3x3, Aij, and B is 3x3, Bij, each a rank 2 tensor.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

sugarmolecule

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never heard of a dot product of tensors. Can you give us more details? Tip: If this is from a book, check if it's available at books.google.com. You might even be able to show us the specific page where you found this.

Hi,

I found this reference online that lists a potential intepretation:

www.math.mtu.edu/~feigl/courses/CFD-script/tensor-review.pdf

It lists the dot product of two rank-2 tensors U, V in 3-space as:

UikVkj

Does that look right?

Thanks,

sugarmolecule

nevermind i was thinking of something else.

Last edited:
sugarmolecule said:
Hi,

I found this reference online that lists a potential intepretation:

www.math.mtu.edu/~feigl/courses/CFD-script/tensor-review.pdf

It lists the dot product of two rank-2 tensors U, V in 3-space as:

UikVkj

Does that look right?

Thanks,

sugarmolecule
I suspected that. I didn't know that anyone uses term "dot product" about rank 2 tensors, but if they do, it's logical that they mean precisely that. I don't see a reason to call it a dot product though. To me, that's just the definition of matrix multiplication, and if we insist on thinking of U and V as tensors, then the operation would usually be described as a ''contraction" of two indices of the rank 4 tensor that you get when you take what your text calls the "dyadic product" of U and V.

Related to What is the dot product of tensors?

1. What is the dot product of tensors?

The dot product of tensors is a mathematical operation that takes two tensors and returns a single scalar value. It is also known as the inner product, and it is used to measure the similarity or correlation between two tensors.

2. How is the dot product of tensors calculated?

The dot product of tensors is calculated by multiplying corresponding elements in the two tensors and then summing the results. This means that the two tensors must have the same shape for the dot product to be valid.

3. What are the applications of the dot product of tensors?

The dot product of tensors has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is commonly used in vector and matrix operations, signal processing, and machine learning algorithms such as neural networks.

4. Can the dot product of tensors be used for tensors of different dimensions?

No, the dot product of tensors can only be calculated for tensors of the same dimension. This is because the two tensors must have the same number of elements for the dot product to be valid.

5. Are there any properties of the dot product of tensors?

Yes, the dot product of tensors has several properties, including commutativity, distributivity, and associativity. These properties allow for the dot product to be used in various mathematical operations and make it a useful tool in many fields.