What is the Domain of the f(x)^g(x) Function?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the domain and range of a function, specifically h(x)=(x^2-4)^(x). The attempted solution includes a requirement that x^2-4>0 and a discussion about the domain of xx, with the usual practice being to consider it as (0, ∞). The individual is seeking suggestions for further clarification.
karkas

Homework Statement

We have to find the domain range (hope I'm using this right) of some functions, one of them being h(x)=f(x)^g(x), say h(x)=(x^2-4)^(x). I've been looking around and couldn't find the domain range of the x^x function, so I am kinda stuck on this one.

Homework Equations

Find the domain of h(x)=(x^2 -4)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well there's a somewhat obvious requirement (I think), that x^2-4>0 . So we get x>2 or x<-2. Other than that though I don't see any other requirement that stems from the exponent. Maybe that isn't even the case , however. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
xx does pose a problem.

When x is a negative number, xq, where q is a rational number, is only defined if the numerator of q is even (and it is applied before applying the denominator), or if the denominator of q is odd.

xr is undefined if r is irrational.

To my knowledge, the usual practice is to consider the domain of xx to be (0, ∞). While you can make a case for including a subset of the negative rational numbers, to do so puts a lot of holes in the domain for x < 0 .

Related to What is the Domain of the f(x)^g(x) Function?

1. What is the domain of a f(x)^g(x) function?

The domain of a f(x)^g(x) function is all the possible input values for the function. In other words, it is the set of all values that can be substituted for the variable x to produce a valid output.

2. How do I determine the domain of a f(x)^g(x) function?

To determine the domain of a f(x)^g(x) function, you need to consider the restrictions on the variables. The domain will be all the values that make the function well-defined and valid. It is also important to check for any values that would result in an undefined output, such as dividing by zero.

3. Can the domain of a f(x)^g(x) function be negative?

Yes, the domain of a f(x)^g(x) function can be negative. The domain is not limited to positive values, as long as the input values do not result in an undefined output.

4. Are there any restrictions on the types of functions that can be used for f(x) and g(x) in a f(x)^g(x) function?

Theoretically, there are no restrictions on the types of functions that can be used for f(x) and g(x) in a f(x)^g(x) function. However, it is important to ensure that the functions chosen are well-defined and valid for all possible input values. It is also important to consider the properties of the functions, such as continuity and differentiability, to ensure that the resulting function is also well-defined.

5. How can I visualize the domain of a f(x)^g(x) function?

The domain of a f(x)^g(x) function can be visualized by plotting the function on a coordinate plane. The domain will be all the values on the x-axis where the function has a valid output, and the range will be all the corresponding y-values. Additionally, graphing software or online graphing calculators can also be used to visualize the domain of a f(x)^g(x) function.