What is the Divergence of a Point Charge in Cartesian Coordinates?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differential form of Gauss's Law and the electric field equations in spherical and cartesian coordinates. It is noted that the divergence in spherical coordinates is 0 due to the point charge, while it is non-zero in cartesian coordinates due to the exclusion of the z-axis.
hbweb500
So I am playing around with the differential form of Gauss's Law:

[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{E} = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0}[/tex]

Starting off simple with a point charge, the electric field is:

[tex]\vec{E} = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r^2} \hat{r}[/tex]

And the divergence, in spherical coordinates, is:

[tex]\nabla \cdot \vec{E} = \frac{1}{r^2} \frac{\partial}{\partial r} (r^2 E_r) [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{r^2} \frac{\partial}{\partial r} \left( \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r^2} \right) [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{r^2} \frac{\partial}{\partial r} \left( \frac{q}{4 \pi \epsilon_0}} \right)[/tex]

[tex] = 0 [/tex]

I can handle this much. It makes sense that the divergence is everywhere 0, since the only charge density is a point charge. Griffiths has a discussion about this very thing, where he states that the infinite divergence at the origin causes things to work out as expected.

My problem is in dealing with a cartesian coordinate system. I didn't recall the divergence equation in spherical coordinates when I was first playing around with this, so I tried it in cartesian. Here:

[tex] \vec{E} = \frac{q}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \frac{ x \hat{x} + y \hat{y} }{(x^2+y^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}} [/tex]

But the divergence of this is proportional to:

[tex] \nabla \cdot \vec{E} \propto \frac{-2}{(x^2 + y^2)^3}[/tex]

Which clearly isn't zero everywhere. I've checked my divergence and electric field equation, but I can't find the difference between it and the spherical ones I am using.

So, what gives? Is the divergence in spherical coordinates 0, but nonzero in cartesian?

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't there a z axis in Cartesian coordinates? Add this and double check your divergence calculations. :smile:

Oh, yes, that would be it. I suppose the equations don't like it very much when you try to restrict the electric field from a point charge to a plane... :redface:

Thanks!

Related to What is the Divergence of a Point Charge in Cartesian Coordinates?

What is divergence of point charge?

Divergence of point charge refers to the measure of the spread of electric field lines originating from a single point charge. It is a vector quantity that describes how much the electric field is flowing either into or out of a given point in space.

How is divergence of point charge calculated?

Divergence of point charge is calculated using Gauss's Law, which states that the net flux of an electric field through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space. Mathematically, it is represented by the formula ∇ ⋅ E = ρ/ε₀, where ∇ is the divergence operator, E is the electric field, ρ is the charge density, and ε₀ is the permittivity of free space.

What does a positive or negative divergence of point charge indicate?

A positive divergence of point charge indicates that electric field lines are spreading out from the point charge, while a negative divergence indicates that electric field lines are converging towards the point charge. This can also be interpreted as a source or sink of electric field lines, respectively.

What are some real-world applications of divergence of point charge?

Divergence of point charge is an important concept in electromagnetism and has many real-world applications. For example, it is used in the design of antennas, electric motors, and generators. It is also crucial in understanding the behavior of electric fields in certain materials, such as semiconductors.

How does divergence of point charge relate to the concept of electric flux?

Divergence of point charge is directly related to electric flux, as it is the measure of the electric flux per unit volume. In other words, it describes how much electric flux is flowing through a given point in space. Electric flux is calculated by multiplying the electric field by the area perpendicular to the field, while divergence of point charge is calculated by taking the derivative of the electric field with respect to volume.