What Is the Displacement and Acceleration at 2 Seconds in SHM?

• Thread starter Pho3nix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Harmonics
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the SHM motion described by a=-400x has a frequency of 64 Hz and an amplitude of 8 cm. Assuming the motion starts from the equilibrium position, the displacement at t = 2 s is 8 cm and the acceleration is -32768 cm/s^2.
Pho3nix

Homework Statement

A SHM motion can be described by a=-400x. The amplitude is 8cm. Find the displacement and acceleration at a time of 2s.

Homework Equations

x = A sin(2pi f t)
x = A cos(2pi f t)
a=-(2pi f)squared*x

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly I realized that 400=2pi f , so f =64Hz. But then I go stuck cos you don't know if this is a cos or sin oscillation. I am not sure where to go from here, but I just know there's a way around this.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It is great to see that you are working on understanding SHM motion. Let me help you with your problem.

First, let's start by understanding what the equation a = -400x represents. This is the equation for acceleration in SHM, where a is the acceleration, x is the displacement, and 400 is the angular frequency squared. This means that the frequency of the oscillation is 64 Hz, as you correctly calculated.

Next, we need to determine whether the motion is described by a cosine or sine function. This can be done by looking at the initial conditions of the problem. In this case, we are given the amplitude, which is 8 cm. This means that the displacement at time t = 0 is either 8 cm or -8 cm, depending on whether the motion starts from the equilibrium position or from the extreme position. For simplicity, let's assume that the motion starts from the equilibrium position, so the displacement at t = 0 is 0 cm and the motion is described by a cosine function.

Now, we can use the equation x = A cos(2pi f t) to find the displacement at a time of 2 s. Plugging in the values, we get:

x = 8 cm * cos(2pi * 64 Hz * 2 s)

Solving this equation, we get x = 8 cm * cos(256pi) = 8 cm. This means that the displacement at t = 2 s is 8 cm.

Finally, we can use the equation a = -(2pi f)^2 * x to find the acceleration at t = 2 s. Plugging in the values, we get:

a = -(2pi * 64 Hz)^2 * 8 cm = -32768 cm/s^2

Therefore, the displacement at t = 2 s is 8 cm and the acceleration is -32768 cm/s^2.

I hope this helps you understand SHM motion better. Keep up the good work!

Hello, thank you for reaching out. It seems like you are on the right track. Since the equation given is a=-400x, the SHM motion can be described by x = A cos(2pi f t), where A is the amplitude and f is the frequency. In this case, the amplitude is 8cm and the frequency is 64Hz.

To find the displacement at a time of 2s, we can plug in the values into the equation: x = 8 cos(2pi * 64 * 2) = 8 cos(256pi) = 8.

To find the acceleration at a time of 2s, we can use the formula a=-(2pi f)^2*x. Plugging in the values, we get a=-(2pi*64)^2*8 = -204800x.

So the displacement at 2s is 8cm and the acceleration is -204800x. I hope this helps. Remember to always check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem. Good luck with your homework!

Related to What Is the Displacement and Acceleration at 2 Seconds in SHM?

1. What is Simple Harmonics Problem?

The Simple Harmonics Problem is a physics problem that involves the motion of a mass attached to a spring. It is a classical mechanics problem that is commonly used to understand and analyze oscillating systems.

2. How is Simple Harmonics Problem solved?

The Simple Harmonics Problem is solved by applying Hooke's Law and Newton's Second Law of Motion. By setting up and solving equations that describe the forces acting on the mass-spring system, the position, velocity, and acceleration of the mass can be determined at any given time.

3. What is the period of a Simple Harmonics Problem?

The period of a Simple Harmonics Problem is the time it takes for the mass to complete one full oscillation, or one back-and-forth motion. It is determined by the mass, spring constant, and any external forces acting on the system.

4. What factors affect the Simple Harmonics Problem?

The Simple Harmonics Problem is affected by various factors such as the mass of the object, the spring constant, the amplitude of the oscillation, and any external forces like friction or gravity. These factors can change the period, frequency, and amplitude of the oscillation.

5. What are some real-life examples of Simple Harmonics Problem?

Simple Harmonics Problem can be seen in many real-life situations such as the motion of a pendulum, the vibrations of guitar strings, and the movement of a mass attached to a spring. It can also be observed in more complex systems like the oscillations of buildings during an earthquake or the motion of a diving board after being released.