What Is the Direction of Two Colliding Cars Stuck Together?

In summary, the cars collided at 30 m/s and became stuck together. The direction of the cars was determined by the direction of the vector triangle that was drawn.
friedpork

Homework Statement

A 1300kg car moving east collided with a 2600 kg SUV moving north at 28 m/s. The vehicles became stuck together . If the speed of the vehicles immediately after the collision was 30 m/s, what was their direction?

A) 21 degrees E of N
B) 52 degrees E of N
C) 58 degrees E of N
D) 69 degrees E of N

Answer is suppose to be B

Homework Equations

P1 + P2 = P aka m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1 + m2) v

The Attempt at a Solution

I first drew vectors and then tried to add them together but i don't know how to draw them here so yea..

I used the formula given ... m1v1 + m2v2 = ( m1 + m2) v.

Not given v1 so i attempted to solve that with algebra... v1 = ((m1 +m2)v - (m2v2))/ m

v1 = ((1300+2600) x 30) - (2600 x 28)) / 1300
v1 = 34 m/s

I drew a vector triangle eventually got tan ((2600 x 28)/(1300 x 24) = 58.74 degrees east of north

Please help and Thank You... Sorry if this was to messy to understand first time doing this :p

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
friedpork said:

Homework Equations

P1 + P2 = P aka m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1 + m2) v

The above equation is fine, as long as you treat the velocities as vectors.

The Attempt at a Solution

I first drew vectors and then tried to add them together but i don't know how to draw them here so yea..

I used the formula given ... m1v1 + m2v2 = ( m1 + m2) v.

Not given v1 so i attempted to solve that with algebra... v1 = ((m1 +m2)v - (m2v2))/ m

v1 = ((1300+2600) x 30) - (2600 x 28)) / 1300
v1 = 34 m/s

Sorry, but that's not going to work for you. You need to treat the velocities as vectors, and add them appropriately as vectors.

In this problem it's probably easiest to break up this problem into separate directions. If you consider the East-West direction as being the 'x' direction, and the South-North direction as being the 'y' direction, then

[tex] m_{1}v_{1x} + m_{2}v_{2x} = (m_1+m_2)v_x [/tex]

[tex] m_{1}v_{1y} + m_{2}v_{2y} = (m_1+m_2)v_y [/tex]

[tex] |v| = \sqrt{v_x^2 + v_y^2} [/tex]

See if that helps. :wink:

I think i got it..

So for the [tex]m_{1}v_{1x} + M_{2}v_{2x} = (m_1+m_2) v_x[/tex] I wasnt able to solve it since i have two variables.

But in the vertical direction i was able to solve it and i ended up getting a velocity of 18.66667 m/s

Drew a vector additional triangle. 30 m/s was my hypotenuse and 18.66667 became my opposite side.

Sin ( 18.6666666667/ 30 ) = 38.4786 degress... I'm going to assume that this value is North of East. which is also the same as 51.5212 degrees East of North.

That's the way to do it. :approve:

I would approach this problem by first considering the conservation of momentum principle. This states that the total momentum of a system before and after a collision remains constant, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system. In this case, the two cars are the system and we can use the formula m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1 + m2)v to solve for the final velocity (v) of the combined cars.

Using the given values, we can plug them into the equation as follows:

1300 kg x v1 + 2600 kg x 28 m/s = (1300 kg + 2600 kg) x 30 m/s

Solving for v1, we get v1 = 34 m/s

Now, to determine the direction of the combined cars, we can use trigonometry to find the angle between the initial and final velocities. We can draw a vector diagram or use the formula tanθ = (vy/vx) to find the angle θ.

Plugging in the values, we get tanθ = (28 m/s)/(34 m/s) = 0.82

Using a calculator, we can find that θ is approximately 38.66 degrees. However, this is the angle between the combined velocity and the initial velocity of the 1300 kg car. To find the angle between the combined velocity and the initial velocity of the 2600 kg car, we need to subtract this angle from 90 degrees (since the initial velocity of the 2600 kg car is perpendicular to the initial velocity of the 1300 kg car).

Therefore, the final angle between the combined velocity and the initial velocity of the 2600 kg car is 90 degrees - 38.66 degrees = 51.34 degrees.

Since the combined velocity is in the direction of the 2600 kg car, we can say that the final direction of the combined cars is 51.34 degrees east of north, which is option B.

Related to What Is the Direction of Two Colliding Cars Stuck Together?

1. What is momentum and how does it affect cars being stuck together?

Momentum is the measure of an object's mass in motion. In the context of cars being stuck together, momentum plays a crucial role as it determines the force with which the cars collide and become stuck together.

2. Can the momentum of a car change after it becomes stuck to another car?

Yes, the momentum of a car can change even after it becomes stuck to another car. This is because the cars continue to exert a force on each other, resulting in a change in their momentum.

3. How does the speed of the cars affect their momentum when they become stuck together?

The speed of the cars has a direct impact on their momentum. The faster the cars were moving before they became stuck together, the greater their momentum will be and the more force will be required to separate them.

4. Can the momentum of two cars that are stuck together be different?

Yes, the momentum of two cars that are stuck together can be different. This can happen if one car was moving at a faster speed than the other before they collided and became stuck together.

5. How can momentum be used to safely separate two cars that are stuck together?

In order to safely separate two cars that are stuck together, it is important to reduce their momentum by slowing down the cars and minimizing the force exerted on them. This can be achieved by using specialized equipment or techniques, such as using a tow truck or using controlled explosions.