What is the direction of the wind based on flag direction

In summary, the flag on a sail boat will orient down the apparent wind, which is affected by the airflow diverted by the sails. This is different from a windcone, where the flag always points in the opposite direction of the wind.
TheWonderer1
I think it is about 90 degrees off but I never thought about wind direction too much. I guess let's say the wind is coming from the NE and there is nothing behind the flag so it's on a field. I know a windcone is 180 degrees so opposite wind direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think a flag would be any different froma windcone? And if it was not 180 degrees off, which of the two directions would it go?

TheWonderer1 said:
I think it is about 90 degrees off...

How about directly upwind, like on many sail ship paintings?

ba88118a36c5459f9fd0b485d662fc39.jpg

Getting a small flag and blowing on it is also a fairly simple experiment, if you've any doubts.

Likes Nidum
I figured out soon after writing it. It should be 180 degrees and found that this is true in practice.

A.T. said:
How about directly upwind, like on many sail ship paintings?

To be fair, sailing ships aren't necessarily pointed directly downwind ( and in fact perform better when they aren't. They can even almost sail into the wind, called tacking. So the picture isn't really impossible by any stretch.

Likes davenn
boneh3ad said:
To be fair, sailing ships aren't necessarily pointed directly downwind ( and in fact perform better when they aren't. They can even almost sail into the wind, called tacking. So the picture isn't really impossible by any stretch.
That picture is. Note the sails.

Likes davenn
A.T. said:
That picture is. Note the sails.

filling in different directions LOL

davenn said:
filling in different directions LOL
There could be a strong velocity gradient ... :biggrin:

Likes davenn
A.T. said:
Note the sails.

I wonder if they are using the same wind we are using.

Also, I must say that it is not completely clear to me that the flag is flying towards the stern and the sails could very well be at an angle to the ship that is not 90 degrees. Compare to this:
3361341497_78bcf03ea4_b.jpg

Likes boneh3ad
Orodruin said:
Also, I must say that it is not completely clear to me that the flag is flying towards the stern and the sails could very well be at an angle to the ship that is not 90 degrees. Compare to this:
View attachment 203255

That's a different type of sails. What you mean would look like this on the pirate ship above:

can-stock-photo_csp3961721.jpg

But this is not how that sails are set on the pirate ship image (which was just an example for an error you sometimes see, maybe not the clearest one).

Eh, is the suggestion here that on a sail boat it would be different? Went away for a while but in fact, that's why I asked.

TheWonderer1 said:
Eh, is the suggestion here that on a sail boat it would be different? Went away for a while but in fact, that's why I asked.
On a sail boat the flag orients down the apparent wind. At the height of the sails (like the big US one above) it's affected by the airflow diverted by the sails.

Related to What is the direction of the wind based on flag direction

1. What is the relationship between flag direction and wind direction?

The direction of the flag indicates the direction from which the wind is blowing. For example, if the flag is blowing towards the east, it means the wind is coming from the east.

2. How accurate is flag direction in determining wind direction?

Flag direction is generally a good indicator of wind direction, but it is not always 100% accurate. Other factors such as air pressure and temperature can also affect the direction of the wind.

3. Can the direction of the flag change even if the wind speed remains constant?

Yes, the direction of the flag can change due to changes in air pressure or temperature. These changes can cause the wind to shift direction, even if the speed remains constant.

4. What is the purpose of using a flag to determine wind direction?

Flags are commonly used as a visual indicator of wind direction, especially in outdoor activities such as sailing or flying kites. They provide a quick and easy way to determine the direction of the wind without the need for more complex instruments.

5. Can different types of flags have different meanings for wind direction?

Yes, different types of flags can have different meanings for wind direction depending on the context. For example, a red flag at the beach may indicate strong winds or dangerous currents, while a checkered flag at a race track may indicate the direction of the wind for drivers.