What is the Direction of Magnetic Force on a Moving Electron?

In summary: So am I correct in concluding firstly that F = 3.84 x 10^–14 or as berkeman hinted at, is that incorrect?F =-3.84 x 10^-14
Jimbob999

Homework Statement

An electron (charge = –1.6 x 10^–19 C) is moving at 3.0 x 10^5 m/s in the positive x direction. A magnetic field of 0.80 T is in the positive z direction. The magnetic force on the electron is:

http://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/art2/common/pixel.gif

a) 0 N

b) 3.8 x 10^–14 N in the positive z direction

c) 3.8 x 10^–14 N in the negative z direction

d) 3.8 x 10^–14 N in the positive y direction

e) 3.8 x 10^–14 N in the negative y direction

Homework Equations

F(b) =q(vxb)

The Attempt at a Solution

Force is 3.8x10^-14

In terms of direction, I was told that it was the positive y direction, but isn't the charge negative so it should be the negative y direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
I get it in the positive y direction, because X x Y = Z. Can you post a diagram?

BTW, why are all of the answers wrong?

berkeman said:

They are all wrong? I got the same force as the other force answers...

I know X x Y = Z, but from my textbook "If q is negative, then the force and cross product have opposite signs and thus must be in opposite directions. "
Shouldn't this then reverse it from positive y direction to negative y direction?

Jimbob999 said:
I know X x Y = Z, ...

But what is X x Z ?

TSny said:
But what is X x Z ?

You mean qv x F? I am not sure I follow?

berkeman said:

F = –1.6 x 10^–19 (3.0 x 10^5 x0.8)
F =-3.84 x 10^–14

Admittedly I get a negative answer, but at least it matches numerically.

Jimbob999 said:
Admittedly I get a negative answer, but at least it matches numerically.
I think you mean it's magnitude matches .

The direction - assuming z - axis leaves the plane , how are you getting force in the -ve y direction ?
Velocity vector's cross product with the magnetic field is in the -ve y direction . So , a -ve charge implies the opposite of this , i.e. , in the +ve y direction .

Hope this helps .

Likes Jimbob999
Qwertywerty said:
I think you mean it's magnitude matches .

The direction - assuming z - axis leaves the plane , how are you getting force in the -ve y direction ?
Velocity vector's cross product with the magnetic field is in the -ve y direction . So , a -ve charge implies the opposite of this , i.e. , in the +ve y direction .

Hope this helps .

Again I would get the +ve y direction answer as you do, except the part in the textbook that confuses me is this: 'If q is negative, then the force and cross product have opposite signs and thus must be in opposite directions' q is negative isn't it? Thus the positive y becomes negative y. Oh boy how lost am I now...

Jimbob999 said:
Again I would get the +ve y direction answer as you do, except the part in the textbook that confuses me is this: 'If q is negative, then the force and cross product have opposite signs and thus must be in opposite directions' q is negative isn't it?
That's what I have said . v×B ( in vector form ) is towards -ve y direction , but electron charge is -ve , so force is in the +ve direction .

Qwertywerty said:
That's what I have said . v×B ( in vector form ) is towards -ve y direction , but electron charge is -ve , so force is in the +ve direction .

Ah ok, I think I get that now.

So am I correct in concluding firstly that F = 3.84 x 10^–14 or as berkeman hinted at, is that incorrect?

Likes Qwertywerty
Although you'll have to check the magnitude .

Related to What is the Direction of Magnetic Force on a Moving Electron?

What is magnetic force?

Magnetic force is a fundamental force of nature that is responsible for the attraction or repulsion between magnetic materials. It is caused by the movement of electrically charged particles, such as electrons.

How do you measure magnetic force?

Magnetic force can be measured using a device called a magnetometer, which detects the strength and direction of a magnetic field. The unit of measurement for magnetic force is the tesla (T) or gauss (G).

What factors affect the strength of magnetic force?

The strength of magnetic force depends on the distance between the two objects, the strength of the magnetic field, and the orientation of the objects. The closer the objects are, the stronger the force will be. Additionally, stronger magnetic fields and aligned orientations will also result in stronger magnetic force.

What is the relationship between magnetic force and electric force?

Magnetic force and electric force are closely related and can even be considered two aspects of the same underlying force, known as electromagnetism. While magnetic force is caused by moving electric charges, electric force is caused by stationary electric charges.

How is magnetic force used in everyday life?

Magnetic force plays a crucial role in many everyday technologies, such as electric motors, generators, and MRI machines. It is also used in various industrial and transportation applications, such as magnetic levitation trains and magnetic storage devices.