What is the Difference between Square & Absolute Deviation?”

In summary, the lecturer discussed the difference between using the sum of squared deviations and the sum of absolute values in statistics and why the former is usually preferred. This is due to the assumption that data is drawn from a normal distribution and the issue of discontinuity in optimization. There is also a third measure occasionally used. The absolute value expression has no derivative, but this is not a problem in statistics. The reason for the preference towards the sum of squared deviations is unclear.
icystrike
I went for a lecture and the lecturer said that the square of the difference between the x sub i and the mean is the take precaution of the negative value. This has been bugging me , i was wondering why don't they just take absolute because there is a difference between :
[tex]\sqrt{\frac{\sum(x-\mu)^2}{f}}[/tex] and[tex]\frac{\sum \left|(x-\mu)\right|}{f}[/tex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, there is a difference, as

[tex]
\sqrt{\sum(x-\mu)^2} \ne \sum |x - \mu |
[/tex]

There is actually quite a history about whether a measure based on

[tex]
\sqrt{\frac{\sum (x-\mu)^2 }{f}}
[/tex]

or

[tex]
\sqrt{\frac{\sum |x-\mu|}{f}}
[/tex]

should be used. Basically, the measure based on the sum of squared deviations won out because, statistically, when it is assumed that the data are drawn from a normal distribution (equivalently, when it is assumed the random noise is Gaussian).

statdad said:
Basically, the measure based on the sum of squared deviations won out because, statistically, when it is assumed that the data are drawn from a normal distribution (equivalently, when it is assumed the random noise is Gaussian).

Thanks for your help :smile:
Random noise, i got to check this out !

heh, i remember my stats lecturer said that too.
an analogy can be drawn with why we take the squares of the sides (pythagoras) to work out the hypotenuse and not the absolute value.

The squared distance is also used because it is continuous, where the absolute distance function has a discontinuity. This is a big problem in optimization.

daviddoria said:
The squared distance is also used because it is continuous, where the absolute distance function has a discontinuity. This is a big problem in optimization.

Not really the case in statistics - the median, median deviation, and other procedures use the absolute value.

daviddoria said:
The absolute distance function does not have a derivative at a point. There is no discontinuity.

statdad said:
Yes, there is a difference, as

[tex]
\sqrt{\sum(x-\mu)^2} \ne \sum |x - \mu |
[/tex]

There is actually quite a history about whether a measure based on

[tex]
\sqrt{\frac{\sum (x-\mu)^2 }{f}}
[/tex]

or

[tex]
\sqrt{\frac{\sum |x-\mu|}{f}}
[/tex]
When you sum the absolute values, you should not have a square root.

should be used. Basically, the measure based on the sum of squared deviations won out because, statistically, when it is assumed that the data are drawn from a normal distribution (equivalently, when it is assumed the random noise is Gaussian).

There is a third used occasionally:
[tex]\frac{max |x-\mu|}{f}[/tex]

The end of your last sentence seems to be missing!

Halls, i wish i had your proof-reading skills. Thanks for catching my missed comment.

You are also correct that the absolute value expression has no derivative, but again, for statistics, I'd add that really isn't a problem.

Why did I miss the unneeded square root? Let me know when you figure it out, because I can't.

Related to What is the Difference between Square & Absolute Deviation?”

1. What is the difference between square and absolute deviation?

Square deviation is the squared difference between a data point and the mean, while absolute deviation is the absolute value of the difference between a data point and the mean.

2. How are square and absolute deviation used in statistics?

Square deviation is used in calculating variance and standard deviation, while absolute deviation is used in calculating the mean absolute deviation.

3. Which measure of deviation is more affected by outliers?

Square deviation is more affected by outliers because the squared values of the differences are used, amplifying the impact of extreme values.

4. Can square and absolute deviation be used interchangeably?

No, they cannot be used interchangeably as they are two different measures of deviation and can give different results.

5. How do square and absolute deviation affect the interpretation of data?

Square deviation gives a more accurate measure of the spread of data, while absolute deviation provides a more robust measure that is less affected by extreme values. Both measures are important in understanding the variability in a dataset.