What is the difference between mass and weight?

In summary, weight is a measure of force and is related to mass through the formula F_g=mg. Mass is measured in kilograms and force is measured in Newtons. When a reading is given in kilograms, it has already been divided by the acceleration due to gravity (g). Weight is a type of force, specifically the force of gravity acting on an object's mass.
5P@N
If I have a human specimen with a WEIGHT of: 61.14 kg, and then divide by 9.8 m/s^2 (g), then the specimen has a MASS of: 6.24 kg.

So...is this wrong, or right?

Is there one type of kg for weight, and another for mass?

As I understand it: weight is a measure of force, whereas mass is a measure of matter.

So...is this wrong, or right?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is the mass and the force. Mass is measured in kilograms and force is measured in Newtons and the relationship is ##F_g=mg##. If a reading is given in kg then it has already internally done the division by g for you.

What is the difference between mass and weight?

Never mind: I just figured it out. Weight is a species of force.

Yes, sorry I wasn't clear. That is why I labeled it ##F_g## above.

Related to What is the difference between mass and weight?

1. What is the definition of mass?

Mass is the measure of the amount of matter an object contains. It is a fundamental property of matter and is measured in kilograms (kg).

2. How is weight defined?

Weight is the force of gravity acting on an object's mass. It is measured in newtons (N) and is dependent on the mass and the acceleration due to gravity at a particular location.

3. What is the main difference between mass and weight?

The main difference between mass and weight is that mass is a measure of the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object's mass. Mass is constant, while weight can vary depending on the location and the strength of gravity.

4. Can an object have different mass and weight?

Yes, an object can have different mass and weight. Mass is an intrinsic property of an object and remains the same regardless of the location, while weight can vary depending on the gravity at that location. For example, an object may have a different weight on Earth compared to the moon due to the difference in gravity.

5. How are mass and weight measured?

Mass is measured using a balance or scale, while weight is measured using a spring scale or a balance that takes into account the force of gravity. Both mass and weight are typically measured in units of kilograms (kg) or pounds (lbs).