What is the Difference Between Ixy and Iz in Moment of Inertia for Pipes?

In summary, the difference between Ixy and Iz is that Ixy only considers the area moment of inertia around an axis which is not fixed in the body, while Iz considers the mass moment of inertia for the entire body.
Ekaterina Wiktorski
Hi, I've been always using eq. I=Pi*(D^4-d^4)/64 to find moment of inertia of a pipe. Recently I've seen that moment can be in different directions, and then it is expressed differently. So what is the difference between Ixy and Iz?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ekaterina Wiktorski said:
So what is the difference between Ixy and Iz?
i think you are using product of Inertia- see moment of Inertia represented as a Tensor -about an axis which is not fixed in the body.

Hi, I've been always using eq. I=Pi*(D^4-d^4)/64 to find moment of inertia of a pipe. Recently I've seen that moment can be in different directions, and then it is expressed differently. So what is the difference between Ixy and Iz?
You apparently are talking about the second moment of area of the pipe, at least, that's what your formula calculates.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/area-moment-inertia-d_1328.html

For a pipe with a circular cross section, Ix = Iy and Ixy = 0. The polar moment Ip = Ix + Iy

It's not clear what you would be using Iz or Ixy for.

If you are trying to calculate the mass moment of inertia of a pipe, then different formulas are required.

Likes Ekaterina Wiktorski
OK, thank you! I understand that it is a confusing question, let's say z in the vertical axis. I wanted to see your opinions on this one, as I didn't see the difference between body's moment of inertia in different axes...

OK, thank you! I understand that it is a confusing question, let's say z in the vertical axis. I wanted to see your opinions on this one, as I didn't see the difference between body's moment of inertia in different axes...
The second moment of area is used primarily to calculate the bending stress in a beam, so Iz would have no use for that calculation, assuming that the cross section of the pipe lies in the x-y plane.

Because a circular cross section is symmetric about any axis which passes thru the center, Ix or Iy is going to be the same value. For other types of cross sections, like I-beams for instance, Ix and Iy will have different values.

It all comes down to: what are you trying to do with the moments of inertia?

Likes Ekaterina Wiktorski
Right, I see now. I want to calculate displacement in pipe using dynamic eq. [M]{U''}+[C]{U'}+[K]{U}={F}, where U is displacement, and U' and U'' are its derivateves. M, C, K are matrices of mass, damping and stiffness. Matrices are defined, and some of the expressions contain Ixy and Iz (area moment of inertia). Actually axes are as in the drawing, so I assume that Iy=Iz, and Ix = 0?
upload_2016-3-4_15-1-42.png

Right, I see now. I want to calculate displacement in pipe using dynamic eq. [M]{U''}+[C]{U'}+[K]{U}={F}, where U is displacement, and U' and U'' are its derivateves. M, C, K are matrices of mass, damping and stiffness. Matrices are defined, and some of the expressions contain Ixy and Iz (area moment of inertia). Actually axes are as in the drawing, so I assume that Iy=Iz, and Ix = 0?
View attachment 96807
If you are using dynamic equations, there could possibly be a mix of area moments of inertia and mass moment of inertia for the different sections of pipe. If the piping assembly is fixed so that there are no gross rotations about a fixed point, then you are probably dealing just with area moments of inertia.

The stiffness matrices K will require the area moments of inertia, while the mass matrix M will generally require only the masses of the individual elements.

Because the stiffness matrices K will presumably be assembled from individual elements, the area moments of inertia will probably be referred to some local element coordinate system, so it would be unwise to specify the values of the individual element inertias until this point is established.

SteamKing said:
If you are using dynamic equations, there could possibly be a mix of area moments of inertia and mass moment of inertia for the different sections of pipe. If the piping assembly is fixed so that there are no gross rotations about a fixed point, then you are probably dealing just with area moments of inertia.

The stiffness matrices K will require the area moments of inertia, while the mass matrix M will generally require only the masses of the individual elements.

Because the stiffness matrices K will presumably be assembled from individual elements, the area moments of inertia will probably be referred to some local element coordinate system, so it would be unwise to specify the values of the individual element inertias until this point is established.

OK, it became a bit more clear, thank you very much for your input.

Related to What is the Difference Between Ixy and Iz in Moment of Inertia for Pipes?

1. What is the moment of inertia for a pipe?

The moment of inertia for a pipe is a measure of its resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is calculated by considering the shape, size, and mass distribution of the pipe.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated for a pipe?

The moment of inertia for a pipe can be calculated by using the formula I = (m * r^2) / 2, where m is the mass of the pipe and r is the radius of the pipe. This formula assumes that the pipe is a hollow cylinder with a constant density.

3. What are the factors that affect the moment of inertia for a pipe?

The moment of inertia for a pipe is affected by its mass, shape, and distribution of mass. A larger mass or a larger radius will result in a higher moment of inertia. Additionally, the distribution of mass along the length of the pipe can also affect the moment of inertia.

4. How does the moment of inertia for a pipe differ from other shapes?

The moment of inertia for a pipe can differ from other shapes due to its unique geometry. Unlike a solid cylinder or a hollow sphere, a pipe has a hollow center which affects the distribution of its mass and therefore its moment of inertia.

5. Why is the concept of moment of inertia important in engineering and physics?

The moment of inertia is an important concept in engineering and physics because it is used to analyze the rotational motion of objects. It helps in understanding how different shapes and masses affect an object's ability to rotate and resist changes in its rotational motion. This is crucial in designing and predicting the behavior of various mechanical systems such as pipes and other structures.