What is the difference between Griv-Ex and G10 material?

yungman
Hi

I just want to know the difference between Griv-Ex and G10.

How long can they last and what speed up the degradation? eg UV, heat etc.

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Google gives many hits that compare Griv-Ex with G10 for knife handles.

They are both fiberglass reinforced plastic, so the difference will be in the polymer employed.

Likes yungman
Baluncore said:
Google gives many hits that compare Griv-Ex with G10 for knife handles.

They are both fiberglass reinforced plastic, so the difference will be in the polymer employed.
That's why I come and ask, sounds like the rigidness and toughness are close. What I cannot find is the difference when they age. G10 sounds to be quite immune to aging even under sunlight. Hows Griv-Ex. That I cannot find.

Ultimate question is how long can Griv-Ex last compare to G10.

Thanks

yungman said:
That's why I come and ask, sounds like the rigidness and toughness are close. What I cannot find is the difference when they age. G10 sounds to be quite immune to aging even under sunlight. Hows Griv-Ex. That I cannot find.

Ultimate question is how long can Griv-Ex last compare to G10.
With any polymer, UV will be a problem in a dry or hot environment. The polymer will absorb some water that will be protective, while the glass fibre will absorb water that will be destructive.
UV will not affect the glass fibre, but will damage the polymer, especially in a dry environment.
To reduce the rate of physical and chemical reaction, keep it cool and temperature stable.

We should not all have to duplicate your research for you. You are in a position to identify the polymer employed in Griv-Ex, as opposed to the G10 you use. Is it simply a marketing term, or is it really a different class of epoxy crosslinking. Could it be that there is a protective mineral filler added to Griv-Ex ?

The lack of comparative information suggests you use Griv-Ex because it is trendy, and so increases your marketing price point.

Likes yungman
Baluncore said:
With any polymer, UV will be a problem in a dry or hot environment. The polymer will absorb some water that will be protective, while the glass fibre will absorb water that will be destructive.
UV will not affect the glass fibre, but will damage the polymer, especially in a dry environment.
To reduce the rate of physical and chemical reaction, keep it cool and temperature stable.

We should not all have to duplicate your research for you. You are in a position to identify the polymer employed in Griv-Ex, as opposed to the G10 you use. Is it simply a marketing term, or is it really a different class of epoxy crosslinking. Could it be that there is a protective mineral filler added to Griv-Ex ?

The lack of comparative information suggests you use Griv-Ex because it is trendy, and so increases your marketing price point.
So they just very similar?

Thanks

yungman said:
So they just very similar?
That may be the case, it could be all in the marketing.
You should look for patent numbers and MSDS documentation.

Baluncore said:
We should not all have to duplicate your research for you.
<sigh>

One other thing. Most, if not all of what is called "G10" is actually "FR4" and has been for decades. If one really wants G10, one needs to very carefully specify it. And be prepared to pay extra.

Baluncore said:
That may be the case, it could be all in the marketing.
You should look for patent numbers and MSDS documentation.
They actually advertise G10 is more expensive, they have two different models almost the same, major difference is the cheap one uses Griv-Ex, the more expensive one use G10.

I ask here because I cannot find anything that Griv-Ex is cheaper and not as good.