What is the Difference Between Gravitational Force and Weight?

In summary, the centre of gravity is the point at which either gravity acts on a body or the weight of the body may be considered to act. This is because it is easier to calculate a single point, an average point of where the mass is located. However, there seems to be a difference between gravitational force and weight, as the question uses different terminology. This could suggest that there is more to it. Option 2) should perhaps be rephrased as "all the gravitational force on the body may be considered to act". Weight can be defined as either gravitational force or the reading of a scale, but they may not always give the same value, so it is important to clarify which definition is being used.
sassora

Homework Statement

Centre of gravity - the point at which:
1) gravity acts on a body or 2) weight of a body may be considered to act.

The answer is 2) and I understand why - because gravity acts all over but it is easier to calculate a single point, an average point of where the mass is located.

My question is, gravitational force and weight seem to be the same thing, so why does the question use different terminology? Is there actually a difference they are trying to express? Not that I think it's relevant to answering the question but does make me wonder why they are doing that.

Physics news on Phys.org
sassora said:

Homework Statement

Centre of gravity - the point at which:
1) gravity acts on a body or 2) weight of a body may be considered to act.

The answer is 2) and I understand why - because gravity acts all over but it is easier to calculate a single point, an average point of where the mass is located.

My question is, gravitational force and weight seem to be the same thing, so why does the question use different terminology? Is there actually a difference they are trying to express? Not that I think it's relevant to answering the question but does make me wonder why they are doing that.

I would say it's a poor question. Option 2) should be something like 2) all the gravitational force on the body may be considered to act.

As you suggest, changing the wording from "gravity" to "weight" suggests there's more to it.

Thanks it's good to have that confirmation

Hi!
PeroK said:
I would say it's a poor question. Option 2) should be something like 2) all the gravitational force on the body may be considered to act.
Are you sure? I think the difference is that part (2), weight, refers to the normal reaction on the body as opposed to simply the force of gravity acting on the body.

LemmeThink said:
Hi!

Are you sure? I think the difference is that part (2), weight, refers to the normal reaction on the body as opposed to simply the force of gravity acting on the body.
If I throw a baseball into the air, is the "normal reaction force" of my hand on the baseball during the throw equal to the baseball's weight?

Likes LemmeThink
jbriggs444, I mentioned the normal reaction earlier. What if I measure weight using a spring balance?

LemmeThink said:
jbriggs444, I mentioned the normal reaction earlier. What if I measure weight using a spring balance?
If you are throwing the spring balance when you weigh something, the reading will not reflect the object's weight.

Right. So, to surmise, weight is independent of the value measured using an instrument. Thanks;)

It depends on how you define weight. It can be either gravitational force, or the reading of a scale. They don't give the same value in all situations, however, so you have to clarify which one you're using.

David Lewis said:
It depends on how you define weight. It can be either gravitational force, or the reading of a scale. They don't give the same value in all situations, however, so you have to clarify which one you're using.
I agree with PeroK and jbriggs here. The weight is the force exerted by gravity. The apparent weight indicated by a scale may be something else.

Correct. For example, an astronaut in orbit is weightless only under the apparent weight definition.

Related to What is the Difference Between Gravitational Force and Weight?

1. What is the definition of centre of gravity?

The centre of gravity is the point at which the entire weight of an object can be considered to act. It is the point at which the object's mass is evenly distributed in all directions and the object will remain balanced.

2. How is centre of gravity different from centre of mass?

Centre of mass refers to the point at which an object's mass is evenly distributed, while centre of gravity takes into account the effects of gravity on the object's mass. In most cases, the two points are located at the same location, but in cases where the object is subject to external forces, they may differ.

3. What factors affect the centre of gravity of an object?

The centre of gravity of an object is affected by its shape, weight distribution, and the location of its support points. A wider base and lower centre of mass will result in a more stable centre of gravity.

4. How is centre of gravity used in engineering and design?

Engineers and designers use the concept of centre of gravity to ensure that structures and objects are stable and balanced. This is especially important in fields like architecture, where buildings must be able to withstand various external forces.

5. Can the centre of gravity be outside of an object?

Yes, the centre of gravity can be outside of an object if the object is not symmetrical or if it is subject to external forces. In this case, the object will be unstable and may tip over.