What is the difference between FMESH and MESH in MCNP?

In summary, FMESH and MESH cards in MCNP are used to define the geometry and materials of a system in a Monte Carlo simulation. FMESH cards are used for complex geometries with curved surfaces, while MESH cards are used for simpler, more regular geometries. These cards can be used together in a single simulation, with FMESH cards providing more precision but requiring more input data and longer computation times. The use of these cards can greatly impact the accuracy of the simulation, but there are some limitations to their use, such as compatibility issues and the need for additional input data. It is important to carefully consider the needs of the simulation and consult the MCNP user manual before using FMESH and MESH cards.
19matthew89
TL;DR Summary
Difference between MESH card and FMESH card
Hi everyone,

I am struggling to understand the difference between FMESH and MESH.
FMESH is used to create a mesh superimposed with the geometry but...what does MESH? Is it only involved in weight-window generation and not needed for mesh tallies?

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I had a read and I'm pretty confident you are right. FMESH is a tally mesh, and MESH is a variance reduction mesh.

Likes 19matthew89