What is the difference between carbon sink and reservoir?

In summary, a carbon sink is a natural or artificial reservoir that accumulates and stores carbon for an indefinite period, while a carbon reservoir is a natural feature that exchanges carbon with other reservoirs. Mature forests are considered carbon reservoirs as they exchange carbon, but they are not considered carbon sinks as they do not accumulate carbon. The main difference between a carbon sink and a carbon reservoir is that a carbon sink only stores carbon, while a carbon reservoir both stores and releases it.
Kior
I am trying to figure out the difference between a carbon sink and a carbon reservoir. The definition for a carbon sink from wikipedia is that “carbon sink is a natural or artificial reservoir that accumulates and stores some carbon-containing chemical compound for an indefinite period. ” And the definition for carbon reservoir is “ Carbon-storing natural feature (such as a forest or the land mass) that exchanges carbon with other reservoirs." My textbook says that mature forests are carbon reservoirs but they are not carbon sinks. So what is the difference between a carbon sink and a carbon reservoir on earth?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's given right in your definition: one accumulates and the other exchanges (which can be same as releases?). I assume a mature forest is one that is not growing very fast and therefore does not accumulate any more carbon but simply inhales it during the day and releases it back at night? But that is just a guess on my part.

I agree. A C sink tends to store carbon. A C reservoir will both store and release.

Related to What is the difference between carbon sink and reservoir?

1. What is a carbon sink?

A carbon sink refers to a natural or artificial system that absorbs and stores carbon from the atmosphere, helping to mitigate the effects of climate change.

2. What is a carbon reservoir?

A carbon reservoir is a natural or artificial system that stores carbon for a long period of time, such as fossil fuels, oceans, and forests.

3. What is the main difference between a carbon sink and a carbon reservoir?

The main difference between a carbon sink and a carbon reservoir is the length of time that carbon is stored. Carbon sinks absorb and store carbon for a relatively short period of time, while carbon reservoirs store carbon for a much longer period of time.

4. Which one is more effective in reducing carbon emissions, a carbon sink or a carbon reservoir?

Both carbon sinks and carbon reservoirs play important roles in reducing carbon emissions. However, carbon sinks are considered more effective in the short-term, while carbon reservoirs have a larger impact in the long-term.

5. Can a carbon sink become a carbon reservoir?

Yes, a carbon sink can become a carbon reservoir if the carbon is stored for a longer period of time. For example, when plants and trees die, they can become carbon reservoirs as the carbon is stored in the soil or in fossil fuels over millions of years.