What is the depressed polynomial for f(x) with an obvious root?

In summary, depressed polynomials are a type of polynomial with a leading coefficient of 1, making them simpler to work with compared to standard polynomials. The significance of this is seen in easier factoring, finding roots, and graphing. Depressed polynomials are used in various areas of mathematics, and any polynomial can be "depressed" to become a depressed polynomial with the same roots.
lucifer_x
how would i write the depressed polynomial for the obvious root of

f(x) = x5 - .5x4 - 5.5x3 - 3.5x2 - 6.5x - 3

Physics news on Phys.org
I am afraid you are going to have to define the term "depressed polynomial". I confess I don't recognize it. (Which makes me depressed!). I will also confess that I don't, offhand, see an "obvious" root to that polynomial!

Use rational roots theorem, you only have 4 roots to try.

Related to What is the depressed polynomial for f(x) with an obvious root?

1. What are depressed polynomials?

Depressed polynomials are a type of polynomial in which the leading coefficient is equal to 1. This means that the polynomial is "depressed" or "simplified" compared to a standard polynomial, which has a leading coefficient of any number other than 1.

2. How are depressed polynomials different from standard polynomials?

As mentioned before, the main difference between depressed polynomials and standard polynomials is that the leading coefficient of a depressed polynomial is always equal to 1. This simplifies the polynomial and makes it easier to work with in certain mathematical operations.

3. What is the significance of the leading coefficient being equal to 1 in depressed polynomials?

The leading coefficient being equal to 1 in depressed polynomials allows for easier factoring and finding the roots of the polynomial. It also simplifies the polynomial and makes it easier to graph and analyze.

4. How are depressed polynomials used in mathematics?

Depressed polynomials are used in various areas of mathematics, such as algebra, calculus, and number theory. They are particularly useful in finding the roots of a polynomial and solving equations, as well as in polynomial interpolation and approximation.

5. Can any polynomial be "depressed" to become a depressed polynomial?

Yes, any polynomial can be "depressed" by dividing all of its coefficients by the leading coefficient. This will result in a depressed polynomial with the same roots as the original polynomial.