What is the ΔEp = ΔEk + W equation used for in thermodynamics?

In summary, the formula ΔEp = ΔEk + W is used to calculate changes in potential energy and kinetic energy when work is done on a body. However, it is important to measure the variables accurately as the formula does not take into account the signs of the quantities. This formula is often used in the context of laws of Thermodynamics.
kburkus
What is
ΔEp = ΔEk + W
I have come across this formula, but i haven't seen it before. What is it used for?

Physics news on Phys.org
Δ is used to mean a change in something, so
Change in Ep = Change in Ek + W

Beyond that I'm stuck unless the person who composed the formula tells me.

I could guess the E stood for energy and the subscripts p and k stood for potential and kinetic.
W might then stand for work.

But that is a total guess, since formulae are made up by people according to their own mathematical needs. An equation or formula without context has no definite physical meaning.

Edit 3. Oh, you asked about use. If it is something like the meaning I guessed, then you might use it to calculate changes in potential energy and kinetic energy when work is done on a body. But you'd have to be very careful to measure the variables suitably, as this formula would not take account of the signs of the quantities. A better formula to use might be ΔPE = W - ΔKE

(edits 1& 2 were typographical)

Last edited:
And there you go! I guessed wrong. Try looking at laws of Thermodynamics. That seems to be the context where formulae using these symbols occur when I search in Google.

Sorry to have it wrong.

Lets hope Chestermiller, is around. He's a whizz on thermodynamics.

Related to What is the ΔEp = ΔEk + W equation used for in thermodynamics?

What is the equation for calculating kinetic energy?

The equation for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is mass, and v is velocity.

What is the formula for calculating potential energy?

The formula for calculating potential energy is PE = m * g * h, where PE is potential energy, m is mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

How do you calculate the total energy of a system using the energy equation?

To calculate the total energy of a system, you can use the equation E = KE + PE, where E is the total energy, KE is kinetic energy, and PE is potential energy.

What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state.

What is the relationship between energy and mass in the famous equation E=mc^2?

In the equation E=mc^2, E represents energy, m represents mass, and c represents the speed of light. This equation shows that energy and mass are equivalent and can be converted into one another.