What is the Density Change Towards the Centre of a Gas Giant?

In summary, there are numerous resources available on the composition of gas giants, including a Wikipedia article and the arxiv archive. Further research may be necessary to find a detailed explanation of the density change as one approaches the center of a giant.
Laser212
I'm currently completing a project about gas giants. Could anyone point me in the right direction to find out about the density change as one approaches the centre of a giant? I can kind of do it if I assume it's incompressible, but does anyone know the current theories for it in practice?

Thank you.

EDIT: Title should be "Composition of a Gas Giant".

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Google gave me a TON of hits, starting with a wikipedia article that seems to answer your questions.

EDIT: oh, and my search phrase was ... wait for it ... "composition of a gas giant". See how easy that is?

Hello, Laser! I apologize for the way Phinds McSnappyPants worded his post there, he's been experiencing a very painful flea and cat infestation lately. The vet says we may need to put him down/make him cuddle with the kittens and, as you can tell, he's not so happy about either option.

I did a little searching myself, but was unable to find any references that were detailed enough to help you. Perhaps one of our members who is more knowledgeable in this can help you.

One suggestion: Try searching the arxiv archive here: http://arxiv.org/

Likes Greg Bernhardt

Related to What is the Density Change Towards the Centre of a Gas Giant?

1. What is a gas giant?

A gas giant is a type of planet that is primarily composed of gases, such as hydrogen and helium, and has a relatively low density compared to terrestrial planets.

2. What are the main components of a gas giant?

The main components of a gas giant include hydrogen, helium, and small amounts of other gases such as methane and ammonia. These gases are found in layers, with the heavier ones closer to the core.

3. How do gas giants form?

Gas giants are believed to form through a process called accretion, where a large amount of gas and dust in a protoplanetary disk gradually clump together to form a planet. Gravity then compresses the gas and dust into a dense core, which attracts more gas and continues to grow into a gas giant.

4. What is the difference between a gas giant and a terrestrial planet?

The main difference between a gas giant and a terrestrial planet is their composition. Gas giants are primarily made up of gases, while terrestrial planets are composed of rocks and metals. Gas giants also tend to be much larger and have a lower density than terrestrial planets.

5. Can life exist on a gas giant?

It is unlikely that life can exist on a gas giant due to the extreme conditions, such as high atmospheric pressure and lack of solid surfaces. However, some scientists believe that it is possible for life to exist on the moons or other satellites orbiting a gas giant.