What is the Definition of Apparent Wind Angle on a Boat?

• I
  • Thread starter Neeps
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wind
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of apparent wind and its calculation for a digital filter. The participants also question the accuracy of the formula and the definition of the alpha angle, which represents the angle between the vessel's motion and the wind. It is clarified that this is not the same as the pointing angle due to the effects of leeway. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the true wind angle and the apparent wind angle, and the importance of measuring them relative to True North for accuracy.
Neeps
Hi. I'm working on a digital filter, whose computations are dependent on calculating apparent wind. But I'm not entirely sure if I'm using the formula correct, because i find the description of variables some what vague. Would love if someone please could point out, what the alpha angle is representing on this page :smile::
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apparent_wind

I am assuming that α = pointing angle, is true wind angle relative to the boat.
Would that be correct? Thank you for any answers, and sorry if this might be wrong forum to post this thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
Neeps said:
Hi. I'm working on a digital filter, whose computations are dependent on calculating apparent wind. But I'm not entirely sure if I'm using the formula correct, because i find the description of variables some what vague. Would love if someone please could point out, what the alpha angle is representing on this page :smile::
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apparent_wind

I am assuming that α = pointing angle, is true wind angle relative to the boat.
Would that be correct? Thank you for any answers, and sorry if this might be wrong forum to post this thread.
Alpha is the angle between the vessel's motion and the wind. But strictly speaking it is not the pointing angle, because a vessel does not generally move exactly in the direction it is pointing due to leeway. The latter is the tendency for a craft to move sideways due to the lateral force of the wind upon it. Leeway is similar to glide angle for an aeroplane, and is related to the behaviour of the keel, rudder and hull as an under water wing.

By that definition, my assumption would be correct, yes? True wind angle would be where the wind hits the boat, relative to the bow, ignoring the actual motion of the boat. Apparent wind angle would be where the boat actually feels the wind coming from, because of motion.

Neeps said:
By that definition, my assumption would be correct, yes? True wind angle would be where the wind hits the boat, relative to the bow, ignoring the actual motion of the boat. Apparent wind angle would be where the boat actually feels the wind coming from, because of motion.
This is getting confusing. Normal
Neeps said:
Your assumption is not correct because alpha is the angle the wind makes with the vessel's motion rather than the vessel's centre line. In practice, it may be a negligible difference, but to be strictly correct it is best to measure vessels motion and true wind relative to True North.

Related to What is the Definition of Apparent Wind Angle on a Boat?

1. What is apparent wind?

Apparent wind is the perceived wind direction and speed felt by an object moving through the air. It is a combination of the true wind and the wind created by the object's own motion.

2. How is apparent wind calculated?

Apparent wind is calculated by combining the true wind vector (direction and speed) with the object's velocity vector (direction and speed). This can be done using vector addition or trigonometric calculations.

3. Why is it important to calculate apparent wind?

Calculating apparent wind is important for sailing, aviation, and other activities that involve moving through the air. It allows for accurate navigation and adjustments to optimize performance and safety.

4. What factors affect apparent wind?

The primary factors that affect apparent wind are the true wind speed and direction, the object's velocity, and the angle of the object's sails or wings. Other factors such as air density and turbulence can also have an impact.

5. Can apparent wind be negative?

Yes, apparent wind can be negative if the object's velocity is greater than the true wind speed in the opposite direction. In sailing, this is known as sailing downwind or with a following wind.