What is the Definition of a Tensor and How Does it Transform?

In summary: So you're done.In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of tensors and their transformation upon a change of coordinates. The speaker is trying to apply this definition to a scalar field in Euclidean 2-Space, specifically transforming the field f = x²+2y² to f' = (1/4)(3g² + 2gh + 3h²) in the coordinates (g,h) given by g = x+y and h = y-x. The speaker is struggling to understand the transformation and asks for clarification on the terms covariant, contravariant, and rank 0 tensor. The expert summarizes that the speaker is already done with the coordinate transformation for a scalar, as it is a rank 0
abitslow

Homework Statement

I'm learning a bit about tensors on my own. I've been given a definition of a tensor as an object which transforms upon a change of coordinates in one of two ways (contravariantly or covariantly) with the usual partial derivatives of the new and old coordinates. (I apologize if I'm screwing up the terminology). I was trying to apply this definition to a scalar field, specifically to the field in Euclidean 2-Space where f = x²+2y² and trying to transform that to the coordinates (g,h) given by
g = x+y; h=y-x (a simple rotation). It was easy to solve for f in the new coordinates:
f' = (1/4)(3g² + 2gh + 3h²) but I've tried to transform f into f' using the definition and just run around in circles. Is the transformation covariant? contravariant? both? neither? Is this the wrong definition for a rank 0 tensor? If so, what is the correct definition? What is the simplest example of an object which transforms contravariantly and one which transforms covariantly? Is it a rank 1 tensor? (I'm following along with L. Susskind's Stanford video lectures on GR, and he shows how a 2-vector and the grad of it transform, are there any simpler examples or are they it?)

Homework Equations

f(x,y) = x²+2y²; f'(g,h) = (0.25)(3g²+2gh+3h²) where g = x+y and h=y-x

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried dg = ∂x + ∂y and dh = ∂y - ∂x but then I get (using the definitions of co- and contra- variant tensors): (∂x/∂g)*f + (∂y/∂g)*f and (∂x/∂h)*f + (∂y/∂h)*f
and just can't figure how these can be combined to get f'. I must be missing something basic.

Physics news on Phys.org
abitslow said:

Homework Statement

I'm learning a bit about tensors on my own. I've been given a definition of a tensor as an object which transforms upon a change of coordinates in one of two ways (contravariantly or covariantly) with the usual partial derivatives of the new and old coordinates. (I apologize if I'm screwing up the terminology). I was trying to apply this definition to a scalar field, specifically to the field in Euclidean 2-Space where f = x²+2y² and trying to transform that to the coordinates (g,h) given by
g = x+y; h=y-x (a simple rotation). It was easy to solve for f in the new coordinates:
f' = (1/4)(3g² + 2gh + 3h²) but I've tried to transform f into f' using the definition and just run around in circles. Is the transformation covariant? contravariant? both? neither? Is this the wrong definition for a rank 0 tensor? If so, what is the correct definition? What is the simplest example of an object which transforms contravariantly and one which transforms covariantly? Is it a rank 1 tensor? (I'm following along with L. Susskind's Stanford video lectures on GR, and he shows how a 2-vector and the grad of it transform, are there any simpler examples or are they it?)

Homework Equations

f(x,y) = x²+2y²; f'(g,h) = (0.25)(3g²+2gh+3h²) where g = x+y and h=y-x

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried dg = ∂x + ∂y and dh = ∂y - ∂x but then I get (using the definitions of co- and contra- variant tensors): (∂x/∂g)*f + (∂y/∂g)*f and (∂x/∂h)*f + (∂y/∂h)*f
and just can't figure how these can be combined to get f'. I must be missing something basic.

You aren't missing anything basic. You've already did the coordinate transformation on your scalar. If there were indices on the object then the tensor transformation laws would tell you additional factors you need. But a scalar is a rank 0 tensor and doesn't have any indices. You are all done.

I'm still confused. I thought there was some #other# way to get from f=x²+2y² to f' = 0.25( etc.etc.) using the rules of tensor transformations (or is it the definitions of tensors?). Isn't it true that if f was the x-th component of a vector (say) then all I'd need to do is multiply x²+2y² by (dg/dx + dh/dx) to get f' ? (contraviariant rank 1 tensor transformation).

abitslow said:
I'm still confused. I thought there was some #other# way to get from f=x²+2y² to f' = 0.25( etc.etc.) using the rules of tensor transformations (or is it the definitions of tensors?). Isn't it true that if f was the x-th component of a vector (say) then all I'd need to do is multiply x²+2y² by (dg/dx + dh/dx) to get f' ? (contraviariant rank 1 tensor transformation).

No, there's really not another way. Even in the case of tensors you still have to spell out the coordinate transformation. In the case of tensor components there needs be other factors applied depending on the indices. A scalar has no indices.

Related to What is the Definition of a Tensor and How Does it Transform?

1. What is a scalar in the context of tensors?

A scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude and no direction. In terms of tensors, it refers to a rank 0 tensor, which is a mathematical object that represents a single value and does not have any components or directionality.

2. How are scalars represented in tensor notation?

In tensor notation, scalars are denoted by lowercase Greek letters, such as alpha (α) or phi (φ). They are often written without any subscripts or superscripts, as they do not have any components.

3. What are some examples of scalars in real-world applications?

Some examples of scalars in real-world applications include temperature, mass, volume, and time. These quantities have only magnitude and do not have any direction associated with them, making them suitable to be represented as scalars.

4. How are operations performed on scalars as rank 0 tensors?

Since scalars do not have any components or directionality, operations on them are straightforward and involve simply manipulating the single value that they represent. For example, addition and multiplication of scalars as tensors would involve adding or multiplying their respective numerical values.

5. What is the significance of scalars in tensor calculus?

Scalars play a crucial role in tensor calculus as they serve as the building blocks for more complex tensor operations. They also help in simplifying tensor equations and making them easier to manipulate and solve. Additionally, many physical quantities in the field of physics and engineering can be represented as scalars, making them essential in the application of tensor calculus to these fields.