What is the damping factor of a cantilever beam in free air?

In summary, the conversation discusses the damping factor of a cantilever beam in free air, as part of a research paper on atomic force microscopy. The value of the damping factor depends on the size and shape of the beam, and may be affected by external factors such as clamping. For theoretical papers, a small amount of damping is typically assumed. The paper "Experimental measurement and model analysis of damping effect in nanoscale mechanical beam resonators in air" by K. Yum and J.E.Sader may provide useful information on this topic.
Oscar6330
As part of some research work, I am reading a research paper which has taken damping factor of a cantilever beam c=0.01kg/ ms. With no background in advanced physics, I cannot understand how this assumption has been made. If you could tell me what's the damping factor of a cantilever beam in free air, would really help me understand this concept. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's impossible to say, unless you can give a link to the paper online.

The damping factor will depend on the size and shape of the beam, and it can be VERY sensitive to the way the beam is clamped. (A tiny amount of oil or grease between the beam and the clamp can change the amount of damping by a factor of 10 times).

The best way to find the damping factor for an experimental setup is to measure it.

For a theoretical paper, the damping factor may not be very important, so they may have just picked a number that gives a small amount of damping (say a Q value of 100). Some numerical methods don't work very well if the damping level in the simulation is zero.

Is this an AFM cantilever?

The paper is titled "Transfer Function Analysis of the Micro Cantilever Used in Atomic Force Microscopy". I cannot upload it here because of IEEE copyright violation (I guess).

The paper discusses an AFM Cantilever. But what I need is a frequency response analysis of a small cantilever beam (dimension 14mm x 3 mm x 0.2mm). One end of cantilever is soldered to a pcb and is in free air. The above mentioned paper gives transfer functions for this analysis but uses damping factor. Currently my analysis is theoretical, so I what value can I assume? Thanks

For theoretical formulas, this paper may be useful:
Experimental measurement and model analysis of damping effect
in nanoscale mechanical beam resonators in air
J Applied Physics, author K. Yum

Look it up on Google Scholar.
Also look up papers by J.E.Sader in the same journal, around 1998.

Related to What is the damping factor of a cantilever beam in free air?

1. What is the definition of damping factor for a cantilever beam in free air?

The damping factor of a cantilever beam in free air refers to the amount of energy that is dissipated per cycle of oscillation due to external forces or internal friction. It is a measure of the beam's ability to resist vibration and maintain stability.

2. How is the damping factor calculated for a cantilever beam in free air?

The damping factor can be calculated using the natural frequency and critical damping values of the beam. It is equal to the ratio of the actual damping coefficient to the critical damping coefficient, which is the minimum amount of damping needed for the beam to return to its equilibrium position without any oscillations.

3. What factors affect the damping factor of a cantilever beam in free air?

The damping factor of a cantilever beam in free air can be affected by various factors such as the material properties of the beam, its dimensions, and the type of external forces acting on it. Additionally, the presence of any external damping devices or structures can also impact the damping factor.

4. Why is the damping factor important in the design of cantilever beams?

The damping factor plays a crucial role in the design of cantilever beams as it affects the performance and stability of the beam. A higher damping factor indicates better energy dissipation and reduced vibrations, which can help prevent structural failures and improve overall functionality.

5. Is there an ideal value for the damping factor of a cantilever beam in free air?

There is no specific ideal value for the damping factor of a cantilever beam in free air as it depends on the specific application and design requirements. However, a damping factor between 0.1 and 0.5 is typically considered suitable for most engineering applications.