What is the cyclist's end position? I know his displacement.

In summary, the problem asks for the displacement and position of a cyclist after a certain amount of time, given their constant velocity and starting position from point A. The first part is solved by dividing the distance from point A by the velocity to get the time it took to travel. The second part is solved using this time and the given velocity to find the displacement and position. The starting position from point A is not explicitly given, but can be found by adding the displacement to the initial distance from point A.
AVReidy

Homework Statement

I can't figure out part two to a problem. The first part asked us to find the displacement, but I'll let you read for yourselves:

Part 1: A cyclist maintains a constant velocity of
5.3 m/s headed away from point A. At some
initial time, the cyclist is 259 m from point A.
What will be his displacement from his
starting position after 83 s?
Answer in units of m

Part 2: What will be his position from point A after
that time?
Answer in units of m

I solved part 1 and my answer was (from point A)[itex]\Delta[/itex]x = 439.9m which I know is correct.

Homework Equations

I didn't use an equation, I just did it in steps that I made up. Maybe xf = vt + xi would work?

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved part 1 by dividing the cyclist's distance from point A (259m) by his velocity (5.3m/s) to get the seconds it took (48.8679) to travel 259m. I then set up a proportion with these values to solve for the displacement that the question was asking for, which was 439.9m.

I'm not sure how to find out what his position will be at 83s. I thought it might have been identical to the displacement, but there is really no given starting point value... It wouldn't be 439.9 + 259, would it? I feel like they left out the starting position value. Maybe A + 439.9?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AVReidy said:

Homework Statement

I can't figure out part two to a problem. The first part asked us to find the displacement, but I'll let you read for yourselves:

Part 1: A cyclist maintains a constant velocity of
5.3 m/s headed away from point A. At some
initial time, the cyclist is 259 m from point A.
What will be his displacement from his
starting position after 83 s?
Answer in units of m

Part 2: What will be his position from point A after
that time?
Answer in units of m

I solved part 1 and my answer was (from point A)[itex]\Delta[/itex]x = 439.9m which I know is correct.

Homework Equations

I didn't use an equation, I just did it in steps that I made up. Maybe xf = vt + xi would work?

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved part 1 by dividing the cyclist's distance from point A (259m) by his velocity (5.3m/s) to get the seconds it took (48.8679) to travel 259m. I then set up a proportion with these values to solve for the displacement that the question was asking for, which was 439.9m.

I'm not sure how to find out what his position will be at 83s. I thought it might have been identical to the displacement, but there is really no given starting point value... It wouldn't be 439.9 + 259, would it? I feel like they left out the starting position value. Maybe A + 439.9?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It would be that yes.

Thanks! I always end up figuring it out (sometimes without realizing it) when I write out my thoughts here. Thanks!

Related to What is the cyclist's end position? I know his displacement.

1. What is the difference between displacement and end position?

Displacement refers to the overall change in position of an object, while end position specifically refers to the final location of an object after it has completed its movement.

2. How is the cyclist's end position determined?

The cyclist's end position is determined by the combination of their starting position, the distance they have traveled, and the direction they have traveled in.

3. Can the cyclist's end position be the same as their starting position?

Yes, if the cyclist completes a circular or repeated movement, their end position may be the same as their starting position.

4. Why is knowing the cyclist's end position important?

Knowing the cyclist's end position allows us to calculate their displacement, which can help us understand the overall motion and distance traveled by the cyclist.

5. Is end position the only factor that determines the success of a cyclist's ride?

No, there are many other factors that contribute to the success of a cyclist's ride, such as speed, endurance, and technique.