What is the Curvature of a Helix Given by a Parametric Equation?

That will give you k.In summary, to find the curvature of a helix given by the parametric equation r(t) = <acost, asint, bt>, where a and b are real numbers, use the formula k = |T'(t)|/|r'(t)|, where T is the unit tangent vector and r' is the derivative of r. Simplify the formula to k = b/(a^2 + b^2)^1/2 to get the final answer.
LRP0790

Homework Statement

Find the curvature of a helix given by the parametric equation r(t)=<acost, asint, bt> where a and b are real numbers

Homework Equations

I know k=|T'(t)/r'(t)|

The Attempt at a Solution

and I believe the answer to be k=b/(a2+b2)1/2, I just don't know how to get there

Physics news on Phys.org
First step, write the formula correctly! You can't divide vectors!
Did you mean k= |T'(t)|/|r'(t)|?

If so then if r= <a cos t, a sin t, bt>, r'= <-a sin t, a cos t, b> and it's length is [itex]|r'|= \sqrt{a^2 sin^2 t+ a^2 sin^2 t+ b^2}= \sqrt{a^2+ b^2}[/itex], a constant. That means that T, the unit tangent vector is
[tex]T= \frac{1}{\sqrt{a^2+ b^2}}<-a sin t, a cos t, b>[/tex]

That's easy to differentiate with respect to t (since that whole first fraction is a constant). Do that and take the length of |T'|. Divide by the length of r' which I've already given you.

Related to What is the Curvature of a Helix Given by a Parametric Equation?

What is the definition of curvature of a helix?

The curvature of a helix is a measure of how much the helix deviates from being a straight line. It is the rate at which the direction of the helix changes as you move along its length.

How is the curvature of a helix calculated?

The curvature of a helix can be calculated using the formula: κ = |dT/ds|, where κ is the curvature, dT is the derivative of the tangent vector, and ds is the derivative of the arc length.

What factors affect the curvature of a helix?

The curvature of a helix is affected by the radius of the helix, the pitch (distance between each turn), and the angle of the helix.

What does positive and negative curvature of a helix indicate?

A helix with positive curvature indicates that the helix is curving in a counter-clockwise direction, while negative curvature indicates a clockwise direction. This can also be described as left-handed and right-handed helices, respectively.

How is the curvature of a helix important in real-world applications?

The curvature of a helix is important in various fields such as biology, chemistry, physics, and engineering. It is used to describe the shape and structure of complex molecules, DNA, and proteins. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and designing helical structures in architectural and mechanical engineering.