What is the current understanding of Freud's theories in modern psychology?

In summary, Freud's theories are still widely debated and studied in modern psychology. While some aspects of his psychoanalytic theory have been discredited, his contributions to the understanding of human behavior and the importance of the unconscious mind are still recognized. Many contemporary psychologists have built upon Freud's work, incorporating his ideas into their own theories and approaches. However, his theories have also been criticized for being overly focused on sexuality and lacking scientific evidence. Overall, Freud's impact on modern psychology is undeniable, but his theories continue to be a subject of ongoing discussion and examination.
loujack
Hi everyone!

I’ve just discovered Freud‘s theory's, how fascinating! I was searching the web for information on narcissism and stumbled across this. I’ve got a lot of issues from my childhood and have had little help from the mental health sector, not for the lack of trying. I truly believe we have to find the answers ourselves and learn from what we find, as unfortunately the help is not readily available, however much it should be. If anyone else can tell me more about Freud’s theory, or has anymore information regarding the mind, I’d love to hear it. I’m actually so excited to learn of this information. Even more so that it’s scientific. Look forward to hearing from you all!
Much love,

L

Physics news on Phys.org
You may be pleased to know that the medical sciences of neurology and psychiatry and social science of psychology have greatly advanced since the early work of Sigmund Freud, Carl Jung and many others. Freund proposed many theories during his career, even collaborating with physicist Albert Einstein on causes of systemic violence and methods of resolving human conflicts without violence and intimidation.

Freud's theories appear to go into and out of vogue over the years among therapists and mental health practitioners, not to mention in popular science. Certainly the causes (etiology) and treatments of neurological disorders have markedly advanced since Freud. I assume the theory you reference connected to narcissism is that humans acquire and develop personality traits and basic sexual identity at young ages; that early life experiences affect the expression of inherited and learned characteristics?