What is the Critical Period for a Neutron Star and How is it Estimated?

In summary, a neutron star has a critical period for its spin to prevent mass loss from its equator due to centrifugal force. This period is estimated to be between 8 and 12 years and proper nutrition during these formative years is crucial for healthy growth. The speaker is seeking help with understanding astrophysics and neutron stars during their summer holidays.
FNL
A neutron star cannot spin with less than a certain critical period, or else it will start to lose mass from its equator due to the “centrifugal” force. Estimate this period.

Physics news on Phys.org
Definitinely between 8 and 12 years, those are the formative years for healthy growth, and good nutrition during this time is critical.

What? Do you want us to do your homework for you? There's a template for posting homework questions.

DaveC426913 said:
Definitinely between 8 and 12 years, those are the formative years for healthy growth, and good nutrition during this time is critical.

What? Do you want us to do your homework for you? There's a template for posting homework questions.

thanks

No but i d'ont have any idea about astrophysics and i find a problem with the method of the estimation of NS's period during my reading
P.S we are in summer holidays , i Like know some physical basics of neutron stars and hight energy astrophysics

excuse me

Related to What is the Critical Period for a Neutron Star and How is it Estimated?

1. What is a neutron star critical period?

A neutron star critical period is a short period of time after a neutron star is formed, during which it emits intense bursts of X-ray and gamma-ray radiation.

2. How long does the neutron star critical period last?

The exact duration of the neutron star critical period is still unknown, but it is estimated to be between a few minutes to a few hours.

3. What causes the intense radiation during the neutron star critical period?

The intense radiation during the neutron star critical period is caused by a process called magnetic reconnection. This occurs when the strong magnetic fields of the neutron star interact and release a huge amount of energy in the form of radiation.

4. Can we observe the neutron star critical period?

Yes, the intense radiation emitted during the neutron star critical period can be observed using X-ray and gamma-ray telescopes. However, these events are rare and difficult to predict, making them challenging to observe.

5. What is the significance of studying the neutron star critical period?

Studying the neutron star critical period can provide valuable insights into the extreme physics of these objects. It can also help us better understand the formation and evolution of neutron stars, as well as the role they play in the universe.